Use Old rubble instead of MOT (Type 1)

Hi

I am attempting to block pave a part of my garden. Part is aleady paved and I want to extend it.

I am talking about a strip 1m wide by 3m long.

I have been looking at the materials required for block paving. As part of the sub base most guide recommend using MOT (Type 1). Ontop they lay a bed of sand and then the blocks on top.

Looking at what Type 1 is, I was wondering if I could use crushed rubble instead. The area I am looking at quite small (1M X 3M), I have loads of rubble (loose cement chippings and bricks/blocks from a wall that I broke up recently).

The paving will only be walked on afterwards (i.e. not a driveway etc).

Could use what I have instead of buying Type1?

Or is there some flaw in my thinking?

Many Thanks

Bhupesh

Reply to
bp

You can use this rubble as a sub base, provided that it is suitably packed down prior to having the sand and blocks laid on top. I wouldn't reccomend it for driving on, but for a path it is fine, and moreover, if the ground was suitably compacted, IE clay or undisturbed soil free of vegetation, it wouldn't need a sub base at all, (as per the manufacterers laying instructions!!)

Reply to
Phil L