West Midlands : Mini diggers and skips

Hi all,

well, it's that time of the year again, and I am really keen to reslab the patio. The existing 2'x2'x2" slabs were never laid properly, so I will be putting down some hardcore and sand before laying the new

18"x18"x1" slabs.

At the same time, the (badly) tarmaced drive in from of the garage is breaking up. I am quite happy to have this concreted if it's cheaper.

I was wondering about the practicalities of hiring a mini-digger, and doing both areas (patio and driveway) in a day.

Does anyone know of a good price in the west midlands (SW Brum) for mini-digger hire, and skip hire ?

Am I being *too* hopeful that once the ground has been lowered, I can get a lorryload of hardcore to reverse alongside the house, and use a grab-bucket thingy to place the hardcore directly where it's needed ? And then get a big sugar bag of sand in the same way ?

Would it be too ambitious to try and get the earth dug one day, and hardcore/sand delivered the next ?

Advice gratefully recieved

jethro_uk

digger between 75 and a hundred a day, and skip about 75-100 per skip

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Double if you are hiring someone to drive the digger. It will take you a day to learn to use the digger, so take that into account.

You don't specify how much soil you're planning to move, but consider that a tonne of soil is about 0.75 cu m when in the garden, and about

1.8 cu m in a skip - that's 40 wheelbarrow-loads

You will spend more time moving soil to the skip than you will digging, unless you can get the skip next to hole.

From experience: I can fill a "MIDI" skip in a day (10 hours solid) using a mattock and shovel and two wheel barrows. That was about 10-12 inches deep, 20 foot square, and I had my son wheelbarrowing into the skip.

Reply to
bigegg

Only if one is seriously mentally challenged.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Took me about 15 minutes to get basic control of a back acter on my mate's tractor. After another 30 minutes I was quite proficient - not the fastest, but the machine did what I wanted. Until the main pin sheared and the arm nearly fell off - that's second hand for you ;->

This would be easier if you have someone to help - having a driver with the digger will speed up the job - but you won't get the satisfaction of learning to use the machine.

Does depend on soil type too. When we dug out a new driveway crossover we found a 150% expansion : ie 1m3 of solid soil became about 1.5m3 in the skip *when we packed it down hard, layer by layer*.

Yes - that could be a logistical problem. If you can get the skip next to the hole within arm's reach of the digger. If you can't get the skip next to the hole *or* get another person with a wheelbarrow, one option is to also hire a driveable mini-tipper and proper skip ramps (do not use scaffold planks for this). Fill tipper, drive that up ramp, dump, drive back to digging area, repeat...

Yeah - we did a double driveway and crossover to the road with 3 blokes and a wheelbarrow by hand in a day (1/2 12" deep, other 1/2 8" deep). Two mid-sized skips filled solid. Hard work though.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

ok. It will take you a day to learn to use a digger as well (ie, loads/hour) as someone who uses one very day.

Reply to
bigegg