Tiling a small bathroom. *Taste* question

Tiling a small bathroom with those large rectangular tiles.

Should they go right to the floor with no skirting board, or on top of a skirting board?

We can't agree on this. Just wondered what opinion was here.

Cheers.

Reply to
EricP

What age and style is the house? I'm just doing the bathroom in my 30s terrace, and will leave the skirtings in to match the rest of the house.

G.

Reply to
G.W. Walker

I didn't put the large rectangular tiles in my small bathroom because they seemed out of proportion. I decided that the smaller 150mm X

150mm made the room look more spacious. I put these to the top of the skirting board partly because I couldn't be bothered taking it off and also because the skirting board is a buffer zone of a quality that wall tiles wouldn't usually provide.
Reply to
Mike Halmarack

In my last house, I put skirting boards over the tiles at the bottom and coving over the tiles at the top. It looked surprisingly good.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Just a 70's georgian semi. Nothing special and the usual door surround type skirting.

Reply to
EricP

Wrong tiles does come to mind. When you are in the showroom, they look so nice. :((

Reply to
EricP

Reply to
EricP

I wouldn't have wooden skirting in a "small" bathroom for practical reasons. I also think it looks wrong because it isn't practical.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

I'd say wall tiles going to the floor likely to get broken far too easily.

What sort of flooring are you having? In a wet room tiling all over would look ok, but if using say a wood floor etc skirting of a suitable size should look fine.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The message from EricP contains these words:

Ah - you see, that's where you've gone wrong to start with!

Reply to
Guy King

"Practical reasons" What might they be then .?

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

What's the floor made of? IMO if it's board, carpet, laminate or WHY then skirtings look better.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

What's that?

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Architrave?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You obviously don't live in one or you would immediately know what I meant.

About 1"x 2.5" with a rounded edge on one side. The sheds sell it by the mile, absolute rubbish.

Reply to
EricP

I had won on no skirting. Now you've started it off again with coving added!!!!

:))

Reply to
EricP

Depends on who the other half of the we is! In my case I would just do what SWMBO said.

Tim

Reply to
deckertim

So I am beginning to think. :(((

Trouble is we have a garage full of them.

Ho-hum

Reply to
EricP

Ok people, thanks for the input but we are still going around in circles.

(And that McArdle blokey just bunged coving in to add to the jollity) :))

We must consider it on a different basis.

Thanks everyone. :))

Reply to
EricP