Tiling a small bathroom. *Taste* question

contains these words:

Not knowingly. It's in thes**th, innit?
Mind you,we're going to Essex tomorrow ...
Mary

Mary Fisher wrote:

Homeward bound......
Ok people, thanks for the input but we are still going around in circles.
(And that McArdle blokey just bunged coving in to add to the jollity) :))
We must consider it on a different basis.
Thanks everyone. :))

Remember, it makes cutting the tiles easier. I just cut the top row approximately in half, knowing the coving would cover it!
Christian.
On Wed, 3 May 2006 16:02:26 +0100, "Christian McArdle"

It's not a bad idea and would finish a rather stark wall top off nicely. :))

We've had our bathroom tiled floor to ceiling. Twice.
The first time we left the skirting board because we didn't tile the floor. It looked fine IMHO and is the right thing to do with floorboards.
The second time, we tiled the floor and removed the skirting so that the floor and walls would be sealed. In this case skirting would have no purpose.
Take a look around some colour/decorating/interior design sites and see what other people have done - it might help your decision.
Very large tiles in a small room is a mistake. Take them back?
Paul
On Wed, 03 May 2006 16:19:44 GMT, "Paul Andrews"

Too late now they were a sale item from last summer.

And I think the skirting has been disposed of and Mr McArdles coving added. At least for now. The bath has also been chucked out for yet another new one :((

Why?
Mary

I know nothing about tiling, but at a guess:
1) They can make the room look small 2) They will be more costly than small tiles and a high proportion will need to be cut. Tile cutting is not always successful resulting in a high wastage of pricy tiles.
--
Helen D. Vecht: snipped-for-privacy@zetnet.co.uk
Edgware.
Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:

Hello HDV, YMMV but IMO MF is a fisher of goats, if you twig.

I twig, I bite bait occasionally, I have fun on Usenet...
--
Helen D. Vecht: snipped-for-privacy@zetnet.co.uk
Edgware.

Well, if they have large patterns perhaps - but that would apply to small ones too. I admit I was thinking of the type we've just added to (eek! I hear the calls) our existing small tiling. They're virtually plain white and not noticeable.

In my experience if you have a decent tile cutter it's not a problem, Spouse wasted one tile of ours. But if you have smaller tiles there will be more to cut and therefore, surely, there's more risk of more tiles being miscut.
We were given our tiles, we used some for behind the cooker, thatwas definitely desirable. The rest went to protect the (painted) wall next to the shower. Not that it needed protection, that wall hasn't suffered in thirty years of being sprayed during a family of seven having showers. It just seemed a waste not to use the remaining donated tiles.
Mary

What you need is an electric tile cutter...;-)
--
*Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt.

Or a cowboy.
--
Skipweasel

As other people have commented, they tend to make a small room look even smaller and tend to be far more problematic getting around those small spaces, lots of tile cutting and potential waste. It can look downright silly having a big tile needing to be cut to accommodate a small space. I think that when looking at a tiled room the impression you want is of a regular pattern of tiles rather than a lot of tiles in irregular shapes (unless that irregularity is by design) due to having to fit around obstacles in a confined space.
On the tiling front I'd say that tiling small bathrooms is probably harder than tiling large ones and tiling small bathrooms with big tiles is probably harder still to get it looking good.
Saying all that, I'm sure as in everything, that there are exceptions that go against the general rule.
Paul

EricP wrote:

I usually go to the floor, or better sill, use a few sliced up floor tiles as a skirting.

I think the tiles have won. The tile showroom was no skirting and it looked decent with the same size tiles and about same size room.
EricP wrote:

What is the floor covering, if the floor is tiled then I would take the wall tiles to the floor. If wood or vinyl then I would think a skirting necessary to trim the edges.
--
David Clark
<http://www.publishing.ucl.ac.uk

I opted to go right to the floor (30s semi) as the new suite and fittings were modern, and I was aiming for the continental look. The floor is also tiled. The wall tiles are broken up with a strip of listello tiles to stop the room looking too stark.
--
(\__/)