Cost of skip hire

What would people expect to pay for a 2 cu yd skip for a few days on private land (so no licence required)? I have got quotes from £99 to £199.

Also, are there any recommendations for ready mix concrete companies, I need about 1 cu yd.

The last time I hired a skip it was 2 cu yd and cost £40 (and it wasn't that long ago.....)

Cheers

Peter

Reply to
puffernutter

That's the green landfill taxes for you :(

6 cu M skip here is costing £200 ish cash

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Hippo Bags are cheaper & worth a look. Depends what you want to put in them of course.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

On Thursday 09 May 2013 17:26 puffernutter wrote in uk.d-i-y:

This should give you a reasonable estimate:

Tim Watts

See if you have a mixamate franchise in your area. They turn up with a custom built wagon with a mixer on the back. They mix there and then and proved barrows for you to transport it yourself. You order nominally what you need and they judge towards the end how much more to mix. They are competitive for small quantities like your need where paying for empty space in a ready mix wagon is expensive.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

What would people expect to pay for a 2 cu yd skip for a few days on private land (so no licence required)? I have got quotes from £99 to £199.

Also, are there any recommendations for ready mix concrete companies, I need about 1 cu yd.

The last time I hired a skip it was 2 cu yd and cost £40 (and it wasn't that long ago.....)

Forget the skip, look up a grab lorry to remove the debris.

Reply to
Nthkentman

On Thursday 09 May 2013 19:49 Bob Minchin wrote in uk.d-i-y:

I can vouch for them - the nice features are:

1) The bloke can mix bloody fast but it's still within the realms that 2-3 people can barrow it depending on distance. 2) You can ask to tweak the mix dryness as you go. 3) You get what you need and no need to lose excess.
Reply to
Tim Watts

The increase is all down to landfill taxation I imagine.

brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

AIUI they have to tip each skip out back at the yard to sort through and extract recyclables and confirm no 'nasties' such as old plasterboard artfully concealed at the bottom.

So the cost has soared.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David.WE.Roberts

Our local skip place sorts all the waste out. Some is recycled some to landfill. Pretty labour intensive.

Eg Rubble is put through a crusher and sold as base material for driveways/roads etc.

At the (different) recycle place they have about forty different skips for this and that.

Reply to
harry

On that note, if you guarantee that the skip will hold nothing but rubble, or nothing but topsoil, you can sometimes get a discount - because they can sell it instead of dumping it.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

On Friday 10 May 2013 08:36 The Medway Handyman wrote in uk.d-i-y:

I looked at that once.

There was adiscount for "clean hardcore" but they were so fussy about "clean" and the discount so little I could not be arsed...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Yes they do, there is a firm in this area Mick George skips where they have a number of transfer stations where skips and waste are tipped then a big transporter comes along and carts that off to the sorting depot.

There they have a gang of men sifting thru all the waste picking it apart often outside in all weathers not a job I'd like to do but they do earn quite a lot on piecework and depending on how much of value they find especially Copper cable etc.

Course clean brick rubble goes in the crusher and becomes very sellable for groundwork's..

Reply to
tony sayer

£109 is what I pay for hardcore/subsoil Price goes up if anything classed as non-landfill ... plastic, steel, household rubbish etc.
Reply to
Rick Hughes

forgot to add £109 is for 9 cu yd drop front

I would not bother with a 2 cu yd skip, I have a small trailer than I would move that with.

Used to be quite popular to pay local bin men some cash ... they would come back after round finished and carry out waste using 2 man carry bags ... not sure how much 'a drink in it for us' would cost nowadays.

Reply to
Rick Hughes