stupid smatpnones

Dave Plowman (News) snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk> wrote

Haven't been analogue throughout for more than 50 years now.

Reply to
Jimsim

I made a call to Oz on business years ago, and the exchange was definitely digital. The speech was so clear, it was like standing in the same room with them. I would guess the phone in question, was a 2B+D setup, to be that clear.

By comparison, this is a step backwards.

Another quote:

"The ISDN network is available to 96% of the Australian population. ISDN provides an end to end digital connection that allows Telstra to deliver 64kbps connections to customers."

But that doesn't mean a customer has to use it. The fee structure is likely to be set up to ding businesses (because, that is how telephone companies work).

And since that was supposed to be decommissioned, it means at least a few will have to switch, use other equipment. And it won't be like standing in the same room any more.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Quite. Hence Wodney saying his mobile phone always sounded better than a landline, total crap. As expected from one who always replies with the exact opposite of fact.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

I was working in Fiji in 1988 and my home phone was connected to a digital exchange. Relatives back here remarked how clear the phone call was. almost as if I was in the next street/village/town.

Then the Hisbiscus carnival occurred and someone drove a metal tent spike through the lead-sheathed multi-core cable supplying the houses where I lived. Fiji P&T managed to cross connect my line with a lady who had been disconnected for non-payment. Her husband was in the Lebanon or somewhere as a Fiji army officer part of a UN peace-keeping force. She soon realised that her line was 'working' and she could dial direct any international number. By the time the pairs were re-assigned at the Suva exchange, she had rung up bills for $thousands.

Reply to
Andrew

This is: diy.UK!

Reply to
charles

I've got a 50 year old phone which still works on the landline.

But I'd not expect Wodney to understand what analogue means. Or anything else, come to that.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

50 - so it's still fairly new then? Mine has a sticker on saying that it was repaired in 1972. The Phone itself dates from the 1940s or possibly even the late 1930s!
Reply to
Steve Walker