stupid smatpnones

Are i-phones really so crude they don't have intelligent charging built in?

I have Samsung. Both the current and previous are left plugged in when not in use. And I only ever use the mobile out of the house.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Everybody I know who has had the booster has also had a reminder in the past week or so and they don't all have smart phones, much less the NHS App. I think the NHS just thought it simpler to text everybody rather than to sort out who had and who had not had a booster.

Reply to
nightjar

Yes. Smartphones do gobble power a lot faster than the old Nokia dumb phones, but I still only have to charge every two or three days - it is turned off for around 8 hours every night though, which helps.

Reply to
Steve Walker

They may know I have the NHS App, but the data on it requires me to login and access the NHS database. It is not stored on the phone.

Reply to
nightjar

I think that that is a problem of various parts of the NHS not talking to each other. If your jabs were arranged through your GP, the central NHS reminders keep coming. I presume that the central system only has the bare details of name, address, age and whether the GP has advised a vulnerability, but cannot see the whole GP record, so cannot see if you have been vaccinated through the GP.

Reply to
Steve Walker

Until you lose it, or there is a power failure or internet melt down.

And why on earth would you *need* to know what your medical records and test results are ?. Covid test 'passes' are freely available to buy from a variety of online sources.

Oh, and you don't have all your medical records, you only only have the bland data that your GP has allowed you to see. Comments like NFN (Normal for Norfolk, or TURnip as we know him) are only accessible to medical staff.

Reply to
Andrew

The nokia pre-smart phones circa 2005 held their charge for at least 7 days.

Reply to
Andrew

Yes. It was a broadcast SMS not the app.

Reply to
mm0fmf

No. They have plenty of smarts around charging and power management. Harry is a bit thick still applying 1980s thinking.

Reply to
mm0fmf

Yes, but how often do you actually need such a time between recharges?

I can charge whenever I am at home, in the car, in the office, in a hotel room, etc. As I can get up to three days between charges, I choose to charge up, overnight, every few days. If I was going to be unable to charge for longer, I'd simply take a powerbank with me.

The functionality of the smartphone (as long as it can manage at least

30 hours without charging, outweighs the longevity of the dumb phones.

Although, my first phone only managed around 15 hours (with the double thickness, high capacity battery) and only included 15 minutes of calls per month! It still allowed me to keep in touch when needed.

Reply to
Steve Walker

Losing it would only be a temporary problem. It only takes a few moments to transfer everything from the previous phone, which I keep at home, to a newly bought phone again. The other objections are rare enough not to worry about. Poor signal strength is a lot more likely.

Need no. Like yes. My GP will contact me if a test result is abnormal, but I still like to see the different things shown in blood results or that a chest X-ray shows that my heart and lungs are normal. I can see those things as soon as they are available, which will be well before a follow up visit, if any. I have been able to get them from the surgery online service for a long time, but not as quickly or as easily as through the NHS App.

Not, however, as one that has been issued in the past few seconds and that you don't need to carry around as a separate piece of paper. It is the immediate availability of the pass that is making a friend of mine, who is an avid concert goer, think seriously about getting a smart phone.

I know that GPs decide what level of access is available to each patient. Mine decided that I could cope with the widest access he could give me.

Reply to
nightjar

nightjar presented the following explanation :

The first jab reminder I received from them, when I had the app on in the summer, before I lost patience with it and took it back off - had me ringing the surgery thinking there might be a jab I had not heard of before.

It is better this time around, it includes finger print login, rather than password and the hospital appointments seem useful too.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

on 01/01/2022, Steve Walker supposed :

You have to remember to turn it off, then back on in the morning? Mine lives on a drop on (home made) charger stand, USB powered from Smart Plug which Alexa powers up for a couple of hours in the morning, just before I'm likely to get up. Always near a full charge, ready for me each day. I hate having things I need to remember to do on a regular basis. I just drop it on the stand and forget it, until I go out - nothing to remember.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

I used a powerpack to recharge my phone when I had a 36 hour hospital stay in December but it was probably unnecessary to do so. (Was the first time I knowingly made a 5G connection, too.)

Reply to
Peter Johnson

Andrew has brought this to us :

Yes, but they only made phone calls and played a snake game, Smart ones are much more clever, almost a laptop in your pocket.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

I suspect battery useage will vary with the local signal strength. A test I did last week showed 6% over night loss on my desk, but 10% in my bedroom. Wifi signals are stronger at my desk.

Reply to
charles

Steve Walker has brought this to us :

The 'not the NHS jab app', the main system - does seem aware of what jabs you have had and which ones you are entitled to, because...

If you book a pneumonia jab at the surgery and get an appointment, but instead manage to get one at a chemist as a walk in, there is no need to cancel with the surgery - it auto-cancels and flags it as done.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

but then Nokia got bought out.

Reply to
charles

charles submitted this idea :

It does - the stronger the signal from the base, the less power the phone uses to transmit the regular 'I'm still here', likewise less power needed when on a call or providing broadband access.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

Err, a mobile phone is for making phone calls almost 'anywhere'.

If all you need is calls and 2FA, then an old nokia is all you need. If you need decent broadband then you still need a landline connection anyway, unless you are 'lucky' enough to have full fibre or Virgin. I only have copper wires buried under the verge and my front garden, and no conduit, so my options are limited.

What you are comparing it to, is a hand held computer, with a camera that just happens to be able to make and receive phone calls as well (sometimes).

Who in their right mind spends £hundreds to play games ?. Might just as well buy a PS4 or Xbox.

Reply to
Andrew