stupid smatpnones

First thing I did when I got my latest phone was to remove all the social media Apps.

Other things I can do with my phone, which I forgot to mention; answer my doorbell whether I am at home or not and get pictures from my Christmas gift to myself - a drone. Although the second I have yet to try out.

Reply to
nightjar

I am always amused that the BBC sometimes feel it necessary to subtitle what someone is saying in understandable albeit foreign/broken *English*

Reply to
Andrew

If you look at the axis of the graph on your link, it says that 65% of the respondents over 65 use a smart phone. That may not be the same as the percentage of the population, which is what the link I gave claimed to show. The percentage is given in the text after the graph and is said to be based upon the Statista figures as at 2021

Not that it really matters. Either way, the over 65s are not big users of smart phones. I don't personally know another over 65 who has one and most of them I have to text, as they don't even keep their dumb phones switched on.

Reply to
nightjar

Yes, and nowadays most phone/laptop charging systems limit charging to that 85% or so.

What basically wears out batteries is charge/discharge cycles so, with a good charging system, leaving a phone/laptop plugged in for as much of the time as possible will give longest battery life because it will minimise charge/discharge.

Reply to
Chris Green

In message <sqpcpj$hcs$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me, at 11:09:38 on Sat, 1 Jan 2022, Jim GM4DHJ ... snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com remarked:

My data point: What you'd recognise as a desktop PC [in particular, not a homebrew] 1978, and an analogue mobile phone 1987.

From about 1985 an analogue cordless phone, whose base station was on the 6th floor of the office block where I worked, and had a range of perhaps a hundred yards.

Reply to
Roland Perry

Andrew formulated on Saturday :

Probably because so many people do have one..

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

Jethro_uk explained on 01/01/2022 :

:-)

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

It happens that Chris Green formulated :

I remain not convinced either way. Two identical laptops, both on charge when ever in use, one had a completely useless battery after 18 months, the other is still OK after eight years.

My phones life gradually deteriorated, after being on constant charge much of the time, so now it (new battery) gets two hours of charge per day.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

Yet so many haven't, and that is the group with the most money to spend (as opposed to using Klarna or other cheapskate methods of purchase) and also the same group that much prefers a printed manual.

Reply to
Andrew

Chris Green snipped-for-privacy@isbd.net wrote

Bullshit. Far better than anything else given that they work anywhere.

Its clearly a dud.

Because they have cheap duds too.

Because both you and your phone are duds. I only get that with a few calls from dud android phones.

Only with f***ed android phones.

Only with f***ed android phones.

The Turnip can't even manage to work out how to answer an incoming call on his own phone.

Reply to
John

That is untrue. Perhaps you're thinking of the safety circuits in lithium for limiting dangerous overcharge.

Repeatedly charging lithium cells within limits (say 30% to 80%) creates no appreciable wear. Charging lithium to 100% stresses the cell, as does discharge to very low states.

I think you have been misinformed. See the info here:

"Find out how to prolong battery life by using correct charge methods."

"How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries"

Pamela

Harry Bloomfield Esq snipped-for-privacy@harrym1byt.plus.com> wrote

Iphone batteries don't get wrecked by having it on the charger all the time and there isn't any point in having it on the charge stand all the time you are in if the charge stand isn't powered most of the time.

Reply to
John

So manufacturers should be limiting charge to 80% and quoting capacity and standby/talk times based on that. Quoting them based on 100%, when that damages battery life, should be considered as misleading advertising.

Reply to
Steve Walker

Many people are hard of hearing and while perfectly able to understand "normal" British accents, struggle with unfamiliar foreign ones.

I agree that they often go too far though and subtitle completely unnecessarily.

Reply to
Steve Walker

It's quite easy - turn off as I go to bed, so it doesn't disturb me (in an emergency, someone will call the landline) and turn it on when I get up. Hardly difficult to remember.

Reply to
Steve Walker

I do, but I don't need to charge it every night.

I want it turned off at night, because that cuts out a source of disturbance - whether it be scam calls, text messages arriving, emails arriving, etc., so that adds 8 hours to battery life anyway.

Reply to
Steve Walker

My phone has a Do Not Disturb setting, which can be programmed to engage automatically at chosen times, as well as being able to be set manually.

Reply to
nightjar

Not only the hard of hearing. Any sort of accent, foreign or regional, can be a problem for somebody whose native tongue is not English, even if they have lived here for the past 70 years and speak without an accent of their own.

I often watch TV with the subtitles on,as it allows me to turn down the unnecessary music that seems to accompany every programme these days.

Reply to
nightjar

They do in fact have very intelligent charging built in. So intelligent in fact that when it observes that you don?t run the battery anything like flat when out of the house, it doesn?t do the last few percent when charging because that does reduce battery life a bit.

I use mine all the time now, even when in the house because then all the contacts and call history are all in the one place and the calls are better quality and the user interface is much better than with the Panasonic cordless phones I previously used in the house. And unlimited calls and texts and MMSs to any landline or mobile in the country means that it makes more sense to use the mobile when calling too.

Reply to
John

John used his keyboard to write :

Several sources have suggested it does...

It's a handy place to put it and as it is always there it is quick to find when it rings.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq