Power everything has been running

I did not put OT since this is related to home ownership.

The three day holiday has had very few quiet moments during the day. Off and on from about 8 AM to 5 PM there has been some engine running. Lawn mower, lawn tractor, roto-tiller, power washer, chainsaw, trimmer.

I realize this stuff has to be done at some time, but it seems as soon as one stops, another starts.

Yeah, I know we have rights, freedom and all that stuff, but it would be nice if we had at least some quiet time to enjoy the outdoors, dinner on the deck, company of friends. Would be nice if we quit by 4 on Saturday, noon on Sunday. Weekdays, have at it.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I have neighbors who sit on their deck and seemingly use a bullhorn to communicate with each other. A nice, quiet lawnmower helps to drown them out.

Then there's the damn birds with all their chirping and carrying on at

5AM...
Reply to
rbowman

I wish I had your problems.

Old gravel pit down the road where the ATV nuts drive around in circles on home made dirt track on the weekends from sunrise to sunset. Quite the dust bowl and noise source.

Then the young 20 something living with grandparents down the block (Daddy shot Mommy, she's dead, he is in jail) comes out every 30 minutes and fires up his raised up, Confederate flag waving F-150 with no mufflers so he can smoke more e-cigarettes in the cab.

Reply to
Paul Marks

Quiet here today but here is what has been going on in my normally quiet neighborhood:

Bulldozer removed the entire alley behind my house (alley now replaced)

Three garages and one house torn down to make way for three new duplexes

Trees being trimmed and removed.

One of the above broke a gas line and the street has been getting jack hammered and dug up

Directly across the street, the roof is being torn off for replacement

Reply to
philo

I agree with you.

What happened to the old days when people swept their leaves instead of using a blower ?

I use ear plugs. Used to be only at night.

Not any more.

Reply to
Andy

On Mon, 25 May 2015 12:23:40 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote in

It WOULD be nice, but not likely in a materialistic culture like ours. Families work hellacious hours to be able to fund their materialism (Mc Mansion, 2nd, 3rd car/SUV, etc) Home chores are a low priority that get done as time allows. Usually on a 3-day weekend at home.

Reply to
CRNG

And all this makes me that much happier to be living in a clearing out in the woods . I like birdsong in the morning ... and about the only sounds that the neighbors make (that I hear) makes me think "Randy just shot another squirrel." and I wonder if he's going to call me when he grills it .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

I haven't heard him for a while maybe because he finally ran out of ground squirrels but one neighbor spent his Saturday mornings on the deck drinking coffee and shooting at the squirrels. Unless it was full auto fire gunshots aren't something people take much notice of.

Reply to
rbowman

About 30 years ago, a friend of my Dad's (lives in the country, military vet) got tired of the squirrel in his bird feeder. So, he shot the squirrel. And the next day another one moved in. So, he shot it. The old veteran gave up after 300 (three hundred) squirrels.

-

Christopher A. Young learn more about Jesus .

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Sounds like Christmas with the Clampetts.

Reply to
Neill Massello

Tornadoes passed through here yesterday, leaving fallen trees and a power outage expected to last several days.

It's noisy outside today (chainsaws and generators).

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

I live across the street from a park/lake, so I get both sides. On the one hand, I feel bad when I'm mowing lawns and the racket is disturbing the people picnicking and playing in the park. On the other hand, sometimes large groups gather there for the day, and they occasionally get pretty noisy themselves. I never knew volleyball could be so cutthroat.

I really dislike leaf blowers. I have two patios and a ninety foot driveway, and I use a push broom. Takes longer, but I'm not driving myself crazy with the loud whine of a blower.

Reply to
Moe DeLoughan

I've forgotten what city, state, country, got the tornados? Please write and tell us.

I sure hope everyone is okay, not injured, and got plenty to eat, drink, medicines.

Can we do anything to help?

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

northeast Texas and Louisiana.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

I must of hit 'send' too soon.

The South Main Church of Christ in Henderson TX is giving out food and water to those who need it.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

them. Hope they get a lot of good will in the community, and see a major increase in donations and Sunday fellowship.] Henderson TX is giving out food and

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You've got lazy birds. A few nights ago when it was cool we were sleeping with the windows open but we had to shut them and turn on the AC because of the incredible bird squawking that was going on at 2:45AM. By the time the sun had risen, they were all as quiet as church mice.

Reply to
Robert Green