What do woodworkers like?

Hello all,

I'm in the process of creating a website whose purpose is to help people do nice things for each other.

Many times, you want to do something for someone, but all you know about them is that they are interested in a particular hobby or activity that you don't know much about.

I'm collecting information about as many different hobbies as I can. So...two questions.

  1. What do woodworkers like/need/want? I'm looking for a list of things that someone else could pick out for you that you would really enjoy receiving. This can include items, gift certificates to particular stores, magazine subscriptions, books, favors, etc. Anything that you would find useful and/or desirable in your capacity as a woodworkers. These don't have to be "bought" items. If you really need lots of empty egg cartons, put it on the list!

  1. If I was married to a woodworker, and wanted to better understand what they are talking about over the dinner table without actually becoming a woodworker myself, what books or websites should I look at?

Any information would be appreciated by myself and likely by the families and friends of many woodworkers! :)

If you want to see what the results look like, click on either of the two sample links on this page:

NiceToWoodworkers

Phisherman

Okay! Do I just hand you chunks of random lumber, or are there particular wood buying places that I should get you a gift certificate to so you can pick out which wood you want?

Do we like stores like the Home Depot lumberyard, or do real woodworkers turn up their sawdust-covered noses at such places?

Reply to
NiceToWoodworkers

Unless the spouse is a woodworker, or has the advice of one, a gift certificate is the most prudent course to take, whether it be for tools or materials.

Wood, at least they type that fits in with your subject line, can only be obtained commercially from a "hardwood lumber" dealer.

Reply to
Swingman

I agree. Are there any particular dealers that you recommend? Or does one look locally for "hardwoord dealers"?

Reply to
NiceToWoodworkers

I agree. Are there any particular dealers that you recommend? Or does one look locally for "hardwood dealers"?

Reply to
NiceToWoodworkers

There are many hardwood dealers on-line for those without local access, but local is generally cheaper and better because you get to choose your stock, which can be a highly subjective process, and you don't have the shipping charges.

Think Yellow Pages.

Reply to
Swingman

This is great, guys. I really appreciate it. I also just read the thread about setting up a small shop to get started, and there is some excellent stuff in there. Keep it coming. I want to do a good job on these pages. As the utterly non-mechanical wife of a tractor puller, I know how it is to be adrift when it comes to your spouse's hobbies. :)

Reply to
NiceToWoodworkers

As others have said, typically wood would be purchased from a dealer who specializes in such.

However, I don't think anyone would turn up our noses at a HD Gift Card, they sell a lot of things besides wood. :)

Reply to
Locutus

Well out here in the sticks (no pun intended), one looks at what the project is. For hardwood, I usually stock up on stuff like white oak (always usable). If I need a few sticks of doug fir, our hamlet has a fairly good stock of decent stuff (#1/2). Otherwise the yards that carry hardwood (Reel, Peterman) are an hour's drive to the San Bernardino area. I do go to the Borgs now and again and spend an hour trying to separate the firewood from the usable stuff. Once a year or so, somebody makes a mistake and some #1 fir comes in. At that point, I buy as much as I can afford. Their oak (red usually) is expensive while the rest of the hardwoods are... can't even remember if they carry anything else out here.

I also work with reclaimed woods. I have gotten used redwood decks and redwood and cedar siding. Works well. mahalo, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

This place seems to have a good selection of products and they offer gift cards. A test inquiry to Customer Service received an immediate response. Would this be a good place to point people who aren't local to their woodworker, but want to send them a gift card?

Internet Lumber

NiceToWoodworkers

You could never go wrong giving a woodworker a gift certificate for Lee Valley. Never, never, never go wrong. Never.

Hope SWMBO reads this post.

Regards, Roy

Reply to
Roy

Valley. Never, never, never

May I quote you on that? :)

Reply to
NiceToWoodworkers

Valley. Never, never, never

I think so - or at least I'll agree. I can't imagine anyone who's seriously into woodworking who wouldn't find a Lee Valley gift certificate useful, to say the least. They also have a wish list function on their website, which was great for Christmas last year, and they have a large selection of gardening tools and equipment as well. LV is nearly unanimously well-respected on this newsgroup, and the owner cares enough to post here occasionally. Other reputable (in my opinion) woodworking stores include Rockler, Woodcraft, Infinity (infinitytool.com). If you're into hand tools, Japan Woodworker, Knight Toolworks, or Lie Nielsen. For a broader range of tools, Grizzly is one potential source with some good deals, but they don't have quite the top-notch personal customer service as the rest I've mentioned. Amazon.com is another, with some scattered good deals but even less customer service. Good luck, Andy

Reply to
Andy

I'd like this:

a pair of Swedish bikini models to do all my sanding.

Thanks, and I'll be watching for the UPS truck!

-- Timothy Juvenal

Hambone Slim

I have a lifetime supply of junk that people have bought for me thinking that ...he is a woodworker, I will buy him a tool. IT DOES NOT WORK! My favorite gifts, for thost that must feed my woodworking habit, is a gift certificate. Woodcraft Supply is probably best since it covers so many areas of woodworking and tends to have good stuff as opposed to the big box stores.

Reply to
Dave W

Roy and Andy and Dave W: Exactly what I'm looking for! Thank you. I'll be researching the places you suggested and adding the links in tonight. The kind of mistake that Dave describes is exactly the kind of thing I'm hoping to help people avoid.

Hambone Slim: I think the eBay gift certificates have you covered on the machinery itself. As to the other, I'll check with the place where I get my husband the short-shorts wearing pit crew girls. Maybe they're branching out....

Also, I found the FAQ for this group late last night and I'll be adding in some of the books listed there this evening.

's how I'm doing so far. Am I getting it right? If anyone (and/or your spousal sponsor) wants to provide a short anecdote to fill the spots that say "need something here" feel free to email me. Put "woodworking" in the subject so I can find it in all my spam. If you look at the other pages, you'll see what goes there. They really add something fun to the pages, I think.

Reply to
NiceToWoodworkers

You've gotten off to a nice start.

Under the "Publication" section I'd add ShopNotes.

no(SPAM)vasys

Not likely - A gift card gift is usually something like $20 or $30, not often over $100. A woodworking building a piece of furniture is likely going to want to ge all the wood for a particular project from the same source. Some even want from the same tree! The value of a gift card will not go very far at a place like this.

FYI - Here are two other places that I can drive to but the have online sales IIRC.

- I have seen wood on e-bay and advertise on the swap and sell board on

No

Valley. Never, never, never

I second that! No gift certs for lumber dealers online but a Lee Valley cert! Yea! Make it for about $3000 and I'm all set... for now.

There is a thread on woodnet with people adding up the cost of their lee valley wishlist! I don't think anyone is under $2000!

Reply to
No