Hello, I'm a newbie

Hello,

My name is Leon and this is the first time I've visited this group.

First of all, is there a FAQ for rec.woodworking?

Secondly, I've recently gotten back into building things (bought a house with a large shed :-)) So far I've only touched the surface of what I would like to build by putting together a dog house for my pups.

I'm slowly getting more adventuruous and my next project will be a garden bench. I would love to start making some furniture (I need to get better before this will happen, the better half has said they need to look good before they're allowed in the house:-))

Is there a good online site for plans and designs? I don't think I would use the plans verbatin, more to draw on ideas and come up with my own design.

__

Cheers The Happy Drunk

Reply to
The Happy Drunk

| My name is Leon and this is the first time I've visited this group.

Welcome to the wRec! I'd suggest you also subscribe to news:alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking - ABPW - where we can (and do) post drawings and photos of projects - you might find it interesting sto see some of the things people here are talking about.

| First of all, is there a FAQ for rec.woodworking?

There is, but I've forgotten where it is. :-(

| Secondly, I've recently gotten back into building things (bought a | house with a large shed :-)) So far I've only touched the surface of | what I would like to build by putting together a dog house for my | pups.

If you like it, you're invited to post photos on ABPW...

| I'm slowly getting more adventuruous and my next project will be a | garden bench. I would love to start making some furniture (I need to | get better before this will happen, the better half has said they | need to look good before they're allowed in the house:-))

Be warned that there're a bunch of tool-lovers here - if you're on any kind budget, they're perfectly willing to help you spend more than what you've budgeted. :-)

Mark Johnson built a terrific (IMHO) bench a while back out of 2x4 lumber. You might try asking him to re-post his photos on ABPW...

| Is there a good online site for plans and designs? I don't think I | would use the plans verbatin, more to draw on ideas and come up with | my own design.

There are a number of sites offering plans. Google is your friend for finding plans online. If you don't find what you're looking for with Google, /then/ ask here.

I have some web pages with a few photos for shop ideas (but not plans) at the link below. Watch for links in sigs - some of the regulars (and not so regulars) have some really good project pages (some with plans) on their web sites.

Morris Dovey

The nice thing about ink-on-paper is that you can take it out into the shed, or into the throne-room, to mull over and look at. If you're currently at the dog- house and park-bench stage, I'd suggest getting a book or two out of the bargain bin, say something by 'sunset books' or 'doubleday'. Dirt cheap. There should be plenty of basics as well as inspiration there.

Once you get past that, see if you can get the Taunton's "Find Woodworking" books out from the library, maybe.

As for the 'net, Google is your friend.

h.t.h., -Peter

Reply to
Peter Huebner

good source for outdoor projects is "Handyman Magazine", probably available at your local newsstand. (still trying to figure out if the mysterious "gift subscription" [from MIL?] was a hint, naïveté, or a subtle insult?). :)

Reply to
Swingman

Try...

or failing that...

(The following links courtesy of JOAT.)

These are sites with plans, free and pay. SHOPSMITH USERS GROUP

AMATEUR WOODWORKER
THE LIGHTWEIGHT BACKPACKER
DELTA PROJECT PLANS
ROBBIES WORKSHOP
GREENWOODWORKING
CRAFT TEMPLATES AND INSTRUCTIONS (DOG STUFF)
LOWES
minwax project plans
PLANS INDEX
MECHANICS
SKIL PROJECT PLANS
PROJECTS - FINE WOODWORKING
TRITON PROJECTS
FREE WOODWORKING PROJECT PLANS
WOODWARE DESIGNS (FREE & PAY)
WEEKEND WOODCRAFTS
THE WOODWORKER
ACCUSET
AUTHENTIC ENGLISH WAGON PLANS (PAY)
WOODWORKING CLOCK PLANS AND CLOCK KITS (PAY)
CRAFT DESIGN PLANS (PAY) (LOOMS, SPINNING WHEELS, ETC.)
D. ROY WOODCRAFT (PAY)
PLANS NOW (PAY)
And these are sites you can go to and find all sorts of interesting stuff, including plans. HOUSENET.COM
A MAN'S LIFE
ABOUT.COM
FORUMS FOR THE CHAOTIC HOME
FREESHOP.COM
PEEKABOO YOUR NEWS, TRAVEL & SERVICES DIRECTORY
HOW STUFF WORKS
THE DOLLAR STRETCHER
EFUNDA...BRINGING ONLINE RESOURCES TO THE MEHANICAL ENGINEERING COMMUNITY `
INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY NETWORK (PATENTS)
A HISTORY OF TRAITIONAL GAMES
MUSEUM DISCOVERY GUIDES
MSU-ES AQUACULTURE RESOURCES
you can use these to find plans on your own. HELPFUL GUIDE
HOW TO MAKE SEARCH ENGINES EASIER
INTERNET SEARCHES (SEARCH ENGINES AND TIPS, GERMAN SEARCH ENGINES)
WOODWORKER'S CENTRAL (WWA SEARCH ENGINES) http://209.122.88.33/index.htm META-SEARCH ENGINES
VICNET (AUSTRALIA)
BIBLE BROWSER BASIC HOME PAGE
NEW ADVENT (AND NO, I AIN'T CATHOLIC, I AM HIGH PRIEST OF THE WOODWORKING GODS)
BIBLEGATEWAY (9 LANGUAGES)
WORLD WIDE STUDY BIBLE

barry

Sun, Jun 24, 2007, 12:55pm (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@muckleshed.com doth sayeth: Try...

or failing that... (The following links courtesy of JOAT.)

Oh sure, blame it on me. I've never even seen half of 'em. Oh Hell, I probably am responsibe for them, I've posted enoug of 'em in the past. I've got loads of plans links saved, but seldom use 'em now. I usually just start googling if I need a plan or an idea. The great thing about that is some of the totally unrelated stuff you run across. Which reminds me, I need plans for a pinecone turkey!

JOAT If a man does his best, what else is there?

- General George S. Patton

Reply to
J T

Here, you've helped me out before.

two, they're cheap!

;-) Glen

Reply to
Glen

On Jun 24, 2:20 am, The Happy Drunk

I don't know how well you're going to fit in, seeing as none of us here ever touch a drink... nay, not even a frothy cool glass of Sam Adams (Wheat) after rolling around in sawdust during a hot day of planing, scraping, drilling, sanding........

We also take no crap from our wimmin.

r---->welcome

Reply to
Robatoy

| We also take no crap from our wimmin.

Speshully not wimmin from NS.

ROFL

Morris Dovey

Thanks Peter, I will start looking for some books. I have a fair idea when it comes to woodworking just not as much experience as I would like. I've spent a lot of time working with metal instead.

__

Cheers The Happy Drunk

Reply to
The Happy Drunk

Thanks JOAT,

That site has me thinking of other projects now :-) Best I keep it simple for the moment.

__

Cheers The Happy Drunk

Reply to
The Happy Drunk

Reply to
Pat Barber

JOAT:

You certainly have a very ecclectic projects list, some automotive in nature, but most wood related. Tikis and pinecone turkey's! No one has the woodworking range that you've attained.

Can't wait for a newbie looking for plans for a cross bow.

charlie b

Reply to
charlieb

Mon, Jun 25, 2007, 1:13am (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@ix.NOSPAM.netcom.com (Glen) did kindly post thusly Here, you've helped me out before.

Take two, they're cheap!

Ah, quality work indeed. Thank you muchly. Worth every drachma. Now it's pinecone hunting I shall go.

JOAT If a man does his best, what else is there?

- General George S. Patton

Reply to
J T

Showed your reply to Angela.

That woman has a wicked laugh.

Reply to
Robatoy

Mon, Jun 25, 2007, 9:01am (EDT+4) the_happy snipped-for-privacy@REMOVETHIS.diabolus.cotse.net (The=A0Happy=A0Drunk) doth sayeth: Thanks JOAT, That site has me thinking of other projects now :-) Best I keep it simple for the moment.

The good news: You're welcome. And, the Woodworking Gods do not accept blood or burnt sacrifices.

The bad news: I am the High Priest of the Woodworking Gods, and as such I handle all their administrative work. This includes handling all sacrifices to them - don't try that at home. So if you want to keep in good standing with them just sand the occasional few bard feet of decent wood along, that'll do nicely. If you really want to get in good with them you can send along a short, cute, sightly chubby, slightly used virgin, who doesn't smoke, and likes housekeeping - I stress HUMAN female only. No children, we do not accept child sacrifices.

JOAT If a man does his best, what else is there?

- General George S. Patton

Reply to
J T

Mon, Jun 25, 2007, 9:51am (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@accesscom.com (charlieb) doth sayeth: You certainly have a very ecclectic projects list, some automotive in nature, but most wood related. =A0 Tikis and pinecone turkey's! No one has the woodworking range that you've attained. Can't wait for a newbie looking for plans for a cross bow.

You need to keep your mind active to stay young. My mind's got it all down pat, bet seems like the body was on vacation the day the memo was circulated.

Yeah, a lot of vehicle stuff you guys've never seen. But even that'll have a bit of wood involved somewhere. And LOADS of steam stuff, mostly boats. I hope to start one relatively soon, wooden, of course; researching what type of engine I'll build just now - ran into details on a 3-cylinder model awhile back, where the cylinders sort of 'wave' - should be very interesting, IF I can figure out al the details ouf how it works - no actual plans But, if that one doesn't work out, got several different designs I d have plans for, just need to decide which to use. Monotube boiler, still deciding on propane/LPG or Diesel/kerosene fuel. Down on the list for now. Crossbow? Hmm, I need to dig out my quarrels, set up a target, and get in some time with my pistol crossbow.

JOAT If a man does his best, what else is there?

- General George S. Patton

Reply to
J T

I knew a guy who either had the original or a copy of the steam boat in the African Queen movie with Bogart and Hepburn. He'd take it out in the Sacramento Delta - and tow BIG ASS speed boats, ski boats to the dock when they ran out of gas in the middle of no where. While others charged an arm and a leg for this service he did it for free - sort of. The tow was free, but he'd get a picture of his steam boat towing your fast swoopy expensive as hell power boat.

Going through that photo album was a kick. The thing had a really low rpm - but turned an damned big screw - sort of like a tug boat. Lots of Low End Power.

charlie b

Reply to
charlieb

Robatoy wrote: | On Jun 25, 12:17 am, "Morris Dovey" wrote: || Robatoy wrote: || ||| We also take no crap from our wimmin. || || Speshully not wimmin from NS. | | Showed your reply to Angela. | | That woman has a wicked laugh.

Well, that probably explains today's case of FIDS.

Morris Dovey

Mon, Jun 25, 2007, 10:29pm (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@accesscom.com (charlieb) doth sayeth: =A0=A0=A0=A0I knew a guy who either had the original or a copy of the steam boat in the African Queen movie with Bogart and Hepburn. He'd take it out in the Sacramento Delta

I don't recall if the original ever made it out tothe wrong coast or not; there were a number of clones, so possibly not. What I found interesting is, the oriiginal boat hull was/is not made out of wood. Total metal hull, iron as I recall, not steel. Made in England, and shipped to Africa, before 1900 sometime, if I recal right. I've ot the info in one of my books somewhere, but don't feel like digging it out. Got the video too. Should be easy enough to google if anyone is interested in specifics.

Steam has fascinated me for years. There's steam engines way over

100 years old, and still running. You can literally make a steam engine usng very basic tools, and it will actually run - possibly not as efficiently as one made usig precision tools, but it will run. Try that with an internal combustin engine.