stupid smatpnones

How do you know what 100% is? Actual battery capacity or ?working? battery capacity? The battery management system may keep a certain amount of overhead reserve to avoid always charging to 100% actual capacity. (This is common in EVs. I don?t know about phones but no reason why it should be different).

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

He didn't say that and you know it.

I have seen plenty of Lithium batteries swell years after they stopped being used. Didn't swell when in use then left in a drawer for 5 years and you find the battery has swelled and jammed in the case. Seen it happen to a Blackberry Curve, Nokia C2 and a Nokia 5510. All had worked fine till they were replaced with newer phones and stuffed in drawer.

Working closely with phone Soc vendors and phone makers for the last 16 years, there is a huge amount of effort going in to ensuring batteries last, both in time you can use the phone and how many cycles you get recharging them. *Significant* amounts of software runs driving the PMICs in the phones.

Unless the hardware has failed causing overcharging (can't measure terminal voltage on cell etc.), swelling and failure during use is a result of defective battery manufacture.

Reply to
mm0fmf

Mine uses it too, but it was several decades between it appearing on TW and it becoming commonplace. It was during the bit in between that I wondered what happened to it.

Reply to
nightjar

It's useful for obtaining repeat prescriptions and can be used to request repeats that are not confugured to be repeats. Have used it for the former but not the latter. This'll be less important to you if you are in the fortunate position of not having a close relationship with the GP's surgery but shouldn't be dismissed for those who do.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

Dave Plowman (News) submitted this idea :

No, just spending to much time on my charging stand.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

Dave Plowman (News) wrote on 02/01/2022 :

Thank you, but I have a very decent phone. Iphone SE.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield Esq

I am over 65 and like tech, which includes having a 5G phone. I know other 65s who are smartphone users, but not as advanced as I am.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

I didn't say there aren't any, just that nobody I know who is over 65 had a smart phone.

My partner had a particular reason for having a dumb phone besides not understanding smart phones. In days long past BT (who later morphed into O2) did an offer in which, if you bought a mobile phone from them, you paid no monthly fees and got a fairly generous amount of free phone calls and texts. She got decades of free use from her phone as a result. It was a very short lived offer and, while it could be transferred between dumb phones, it didn't include data and couldn't be used on a smart phone.

Reply to
nightjar

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

I'm on the way to being 82 and I have a smart phone - have had for some years.

Reply to
charles

sounds like the doddgy Savvy phone

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

It was a Nokia phone with a stub aerial. I forget the model number. The phone itself has been replaced at least twice since, but the tariff carries on, even on an updated SIM supplied last year.

Reply to
nightjar

The problem is that even if you preferred it, so many of those who wrote apps didn?t bother to provide their app for it.

What did for windows mobile was that so many apps didn?t support it. Important ones too like net banking and navigation apps.

Reply to
John

Not always guaranteed out in the Dunny

Reply to
Andrew

Toshiba were getting there in the early 1990's

Andrew

Harry Bloomfield Esq snipped-for-privacy@harrym1byt.plus.com> wrote

4G and 5G don't.

And most do.

Reply to
John

Harry Bloomfield Esq snipped-for-privacy@harrym1byt.plus.com> wrote

There are a few faults with any device as complicated as a smartphone, but the swelling wasn't caused by charging it. If it was, you would see lots of iphones which are charged overnight having swollen batteries and you don't.

That's why I used the word MOST.

But plenty don't do it every year but don't wait till the battery no longer lasts long enough to be convenient.

Nope, I have noticed that the vast bulk of those with iphones do charge their phones overnight and plenty more whenever the battery level gets too low and very few of them see the battery swell up, so you don't need to do what you are doing.

Yes, but few get a swollen battery with an iphone.

And very few who have an SE have got that result and hardly any of them charge their SE the way you do.

Reply to
John

That's not quite true. They did. The first time ... then

I really am at a loss as to what genius at MS decided that backward compatibility was "for other people". Although the irony is now with MS out of the way, Google are free to break as many apps as they like in upgrades. Punters like me just lose their money (one reason why I won't buy apps).

Er the OS supports the apps. Not the other way round ...

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Dave Plowman (News) snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk> wrote

Yes I have but only when the other party has a very poor mobile signal level.

I wasn't talking about problems, I was talking about the qualify of the audio in hands free mode.

Reply to
John