Stupid smoke alarm

Why can't I cook my morning bacon without the stupid smoke alarm going off? There is NO SMOKE! Just the smell of bacon. It goes off after I have sat down and began eating. I do use the stove hood fan which exhausts outside while cooking. Weak battery? They are a little over a year old.

Reply to
Blattus Slafaly

Actually the batteries are only for backup, it's a wired alarm system.

Reply to
Blattus Slafaly

I usually install the photoelectric type for my customers as they are less prone to nuisance alarms.

Reply to
John Grabowski

Go Vegan!

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I agree to some extent, but if you are selling a product line that has both photos and ions there is a place for both. I'd use the photo in the kitchen and the ion elsewhere. Ions are appropriate for sleeping areas, for example, because of their faster response time and general lack of cooking smoke in those areas. I know that there are some people that object to the small amount of radioactive americium in the ions but I don't personally feel that that is a big deal.

nate

Reply to
N8N

stupid smoke detector placement.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

I'd never put any knid of smoke alarm in the kitchen. if u want something in there use a heat detector. They also make combo smokes now with ion and photo detectors.

Reply to
Bob

How did you determine that? Where is a better place? Do you have a layout of the house in question?

Mine is in the hallway outside the bedrooms and on occasion, the kitchen can set it off. You don't need smoke, you only need the products of combustions that some foods or heated oils can give off.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Sometimes one doesn't have a choice where the alarm is placed. Our advice received from the fire department specified a certain area that was legal and if placed outside that area it wouldn't be considered legal.....stupid or not.

Reply to
Worn Out Retread

Take a towel and fan the alarm.

Reply to
PeterL

where is this smoke detector?

Steve Barker DLT

bullshit. it's your house. After the building inspection, you don't EVEN have to have smoke detectors if you don't want to. And if they're anywhere but in the hallway and bedrooms, then there's too many.

Steve Barker DLT

t EVEN

$ snipped-for-privacy@news.datemas.de...

re: bullshit. it's your house. After the building inspection, you don't EVEN have to have smoke detectors if you don't want to.

What if it's a rental?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

If you can't use a kitchen for cooking, then the smoke detector is badly placed.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

Same thing applies i suppose. One of our rentals had the one in the kitchen taken down within 2 weeks of the first tennant moving in there.

I can't force them to save their lives.

What if it's a rental?

Reply to
Steve Barker DLT

re: "One of our rentals had the one in the kitchen taken down within 2 weeks of the first tennant moving in there."

Wasn't it you that said: "And if they're anywhere but in the hallway and bedrooms, then there's too many"?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

It's in the living room but there is no wall between the kitchen and living room. I'm gonna have to bag it because I'm not going to live with that useless screaming. If there is a fire and the bag melts, it will go off.

Reply to
Blattus Slafaly

Blattus Slafaly wrote in news:ePKdneKGWLyOeCrVnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

We solve the problem by not installing the smoke alarm. Just leaving it on a shelf. Then, if we cook something smokey, we simply move it to another room till done.

Not that we had this brilliant idea or anything. Just that we were too lazy to install it, and it worked well that way.

Of course that idea only works for battery operated ones.

Reply to
Anagram

Depending on your local codes, they can force you to have the detector in place and working though. some towns are tough on inspecting rental units and enforcing smoke detector and lighting codes, especially in multi-family units.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

yep. But this is a rental. different rules. called CYA. And i don't have to listen to it every time they make toast.