Wood fence

I'm having a cedar 6' fence installed by a local, reputable company, and I have a question. The posts have been installed, and the workers did a wonderful job, especially with the concrete - crowned nicely, etc. They placed the posts exactly where we had agreed upon.

The quibble I have is one post is about 1.5 inches off plumb toward the neighbor post (not in and out as you face the fence, but side to side). It looks like one just got away from them. My question is - what is the acceptable tolerance level of post variances? Is this within the bounds of normal? Should it be redone?

Advice appreciated!

John

Reply to
pilsunusa

Sounds like there will be a gap if not fixed.

Reply to
Art

Vertical tolerance for a block wall is about 1/2" or so over the height.....slightly less than .5 deg

I'd think something similar should apply to fences

An inch & a half is a little much....... about 3x too much. If I was doing the work & I noticed it or had it pointed out to me...I'd replace the post.

Talk to the foreman, GC or owner...who ever is your contact or the guy who's responsible. They can pull it & replace with quick dry setting mix to avoid a construction delay.

Can you live with it or is it going to bother you? The fact that the rest are good proves they can do it easily....they just missed one.

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

If I understood your post, it appears to be out of plumb in the direction the fence boards will follow. IE: left or right as you face the fence.

Now I have to ask if you placed a level on it to find out for sure which is wrong. Yours or the neighbors.

Then I would tell you it is no big deal. Any fence builder who deserves to be called one will fill the gap nicely and you will never notice the post after the stringers and the boards go up.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

On Fri 29 Aug 2008 03:41:29p, Colbyt told us...

I would tend to agree with Colby. Besides, even the best post, over time, can twist or warp a bit. It's the nature of wood. What appears to be perfect today may not be in a year or five.

I do have a personal question, as we are planning to have a 6' cedar fence installed around our back yard, but haven't gotten any quotes yet. Can you give me any clue as to what prices are involved? Did they quote you by lineal foot or by total job? How much fencing are you having done? Ours will be approximately 360 lineal feet with two gates.

TIA

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

That's a lot O' fence, Mr. Boatwright! I'm only doing 100'. Couldn't tell you a lineal foot cost - they basically just bid the job as a whole. I had several estimates, and they were all very similar, which is exactly what I was told would happen. Aside from collusion, that means they have it down to a science, basically. With the prices being essentially equal (these are all reputable companies), I looked at service and other factors. I thought the prices were fair. Also,

***important***, I went and looked at some of their recent work. You will likely notice a difference in workmanship.

Good luck!!

John

Reply to
pilsunusa

On Fri 29 Aug 2008 08:43:54p, told us...

snipped-for-privacy@k7g2000hsd.googlegroups.com...

Yes, it does seem like a lot of fence, but our overall lot size is 80' wide by 110' deep. We're fencing from the front of the house to the back of the lot and across the back, with 1 front gate to the side of the house and 1 gate to the easement/alley way behind our property. Anything less would not give us the privacy we want. I plan on getting at least 3 estimates and, depending on how each company sounds, will definitely go to see some of their recent work. I expect no matter who we use it will be more expensive than I hoped for, but it's something we really need.

Thanks, John!

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

..

re: Couldn't tell you a lineal foot cost - they basically just bid the job as a whole

Wouldn't the "total cost of the job as a whole" divided by the "lineal footage" be pretty close to the "lineal foot cost"?

In your case (100') just move the decimal point over 2 places and you'll have the "lineal foot cost".

Reply to
DerbyDad03

m...

I'd say a post off by 1 1/2 inches from vertical is too much. Any decent contractor would correct it. I'd find out with a level exacly how far off it is and then have a discussion with them before they go further.

Reply to
trader4

on 8/29/2008 7:21 PM Wayne Boatwright said the following:

What style of cedar fence? Single sided or double sided? Plain, Dog ear, Decorative, or Lattice top? Rough sawn or smooth? All make a difference in material cost, besides the install price.

Reply to
willshak

"willshak" wrote

Agreed. And specs for us with a 300ft and 2 gates came at 3200$ for dog ear standard fencing.

Reply to
cshenk