Making a wood privacy fence private

I have a pool in the back yard, and need to replace some fencing. The standard wood privacy fence isn't really private because as the pickets dry out, they shrink, and gaps develop between them, and you really don't have any privacy anymore.

One possible solution is to cover over the gaps with some kind of batten board, but the stuff I found at Home Despot is almost as expensive as the pickets. I need to check at a real lumber yard to see what's available in the way of thin, narrow cedar strips.

But it looks like the least expensive, and most effective, solution might be to overlap the pickets. So I would place the 3.5"-wide pickets 6" apart on centers, which would leave a 2.5" gap between them, and then nail another picket centered on the gap. I made a drawing and posted it here:

So for my 80' fence, the standard fence would have: (80x12)/3.5 = 274 pickets

The overlap fence would have: (80x12)/6 = 160 pickets in the back row, plus an equal number in the front row, or 320 pickets in total, or 46 pickets more than standard. That's roughly $70 additional cost, which isn't all that much.

To match that cost, I'd have to find 6' batten strips for about 25 cents each, which I don't think is likely.

So whadayathink? Also, exactly how would I nail the front pickets on? I think the nails shouldn't go through the back pickets, but directly into the rail. But should I have a small block of wood in the gap to nail through?

Is there a better solution to this?

Reply to
Peabody

Yes. Buy regular pickets. Stack them up with plenty of air circulation for an extended period (say a month or more) in the garage (with a fan) so they completely dry - or get much dryer. Then use them for the fence. When they get wet, they will (attempt to) swell.

Then plant ivy.

Reply to
HeyBub

T&G or shiplap

Reply to
DD_BobK

Who are you hiding from?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

"Peabody" wrote

Had a long ago place like that. The solution was simple and cheap. They sell a simple woven 'plastic' that is often weaved though a regular old type chain link fence. With a staple gun, you can weave this around wood fence and afix it in place so it dosent slip down. Cheaper and works better I think than you plan.

Wince, I have extensive body scars in places that don't show in regular clothes with careful dressing. I am comfortable with my family about them but not some stranger peeking in to view. War action for most of it believe it or not. Being a lady, I am sensitive to this perhaps more than a man may be? I find the need to block off an area completely, quite normal.

For the rest of you who wonder why he needs privacy, just accept that there is a need. There can be many reasons. He need not add them.

Sorry Guys and Gals here, but it really touches a nerve to wonder 'why' he needs this even though it's not deliberate or ill-meaned. He has a need and we need know more.

Reply to
cshenk

My apologies. I felt this one too personal and said 'know' vice 'know no more'.

Reply to
cshenk

Double-layer pickets like that will make the fence a heck of a wind-catcher, and promote rot, since the pickets will stay wet much of the time. Traditional privacy fence for that application has pickets on both sides, alternating, so the wind can sill sort of flow through, but there are no direct sight lines through the fence. If looking through at an angle is an issue, you increase the overlap, and use wider pickets. There is a formula out there somewhere for figuring the minimum open area for each side.

A lot of work just so you can go skinny-dipping, or the swmbo can lay out topless.... :^/

Reply to
aemeijers

Double-layer pickets like that will make the fence a heck of a wind-catcher, and promote rot, since the pickets will stay wet much of the time. Traditional privacy fence for that application has pickets on both sides, alternating, so the wind can sill sort of flow through, but there are no direct sight lines through the fence. If looking through at an angle is an issue, you increase the overlap, and use wider pickets. There is a formula out there somewhere for figuring the minimum open area for each side.

(Reposted minus smartass comment, after cshenk's lecture. I know cancel doesn't really work, so ignore previous message.)

Reply to
aemeijers

"aemeijers" wrote

Bless you my friend.

Hehe I didnt mean to 'lecture' but I guess I did. No harm meant and I gather none taken.

Reply to
cshenk

Thanks very much, but can you tell me what this plastic fabric is normally used for, or where I might find a reference to it online?

Reply to
Peabody

Thanks, but I've checked with a nmuber of local lumberyards and fence contractors, and they just don't carry milled pickets like that. Which is too bad, because shiplap would be perfect. I had actually thought about doing the rabbets myself, but I would have to rent a table, and I would be looking at 300+ pickets, or 600+ edges to be done, and that's just a lot of work.

Reply to
Peabody

Anybody who might glance between the pickets at an inopportune moment and see him skinny-dipping.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

re: "For the rest of you who wonder why he needs privacy, just accept that there is a need. "

Once again, my interweb humor has apparently missed it's mark.

When I said "Who are you hiding from?" I didn't mean "Why do you need privacy?"

I meant "Who are you hiding from?" as I (amusingly) pictured everyone from the Mafia to the FBI (or both?) on the other side of the fence. :-)

As you said earlier, no offense intended.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Here's one view although it's not in strips.

Looks pretty easy to put up.

Reply to
cshenk

Not to worry. I'm just a little sensitive on that subject hence apt to react. My apologies if I made you feel bad over my personal issues as that was not intended. I only meant to say 'sometimes there is a reason'.

Reply to
cshenk

"cshenk" wrote in news:Sxyqn.8885$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe24.iad:

One of my neighbors is very nosey. They live behind my house. The husband and wife go into my next door neighbor's yard to spy on us. We aren't doing anything. Just sitting in lawn chairs with clothes ON. Or mowing the grass. Those people are so weird. They have to see what we're doing, even tho we're doing nothing. If they can't get a good enough view, they crouch to look past the trees to get a better view. These spy people are almost 70 years old! They've been like this since we moved in 1976.

The husband used to drive up and down the street slowly to spy on us in the front yard. He was the only one with a VW so we knew it was him. We'd wave at him and he'd drive away quickly. He must have gotten a thrill to see us doing gardening. It'd be great if they'd go into a retirement home. They're like paparazzi. geeze.

Reply to
RobertPatrick

The solution is to hang TWO sets of privacy fencing panels, one on each side of the post.

Simply offset the panel that faces your yard by 1/2 of a picket. This also gives you the benefit of not having to look at the "unsightly" back side of the fence, and neither will your neighbors.

You're doubling the cost no matter what you do, so why minimize the amount of work?

Reply to
mkirsch1

You're right. They are strange. If they were normal they would be over 100 (or dead) now.

...a fence is going to change them?

Reply to
keith

We had the double sided at a townhouse community. It's pretty simple to construct. 2x4's on their sides between 4x4 posts. Can't span a big distance because of sag, say 4' or 6' between posts. Install regular 6' or 8' pickets on both sides alternating. Overlap one side to the other about 1" for maximum privacy. Even up close it is difficult to see through.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

So give them something to see and make sure that they know that you know they are watching.

If they drive away quickly when you simply wave, imagine what they'll do if you wave when you're giving them something to see!

If you're too modest to "show" them anything, have your wife choke you or something then pause to give them a wave and then go back to trying to harm you.

That oughta get a reaction out of them.

Reply to
DerbyDad03