"Ripping" 1x6 fence pickets

I need to finish off my wood fence at the edges and cornes, where I cannot use a normal 1x6 picket because it's less than 6" in width.

I would need to rip about half a dozen pieces of 6' tall pickets in varying widths.

I went to the big borg store thinking they could do it for me but no ripping and nothing less than 12". So I have to do it myself.

I don't have a table saw nor a jig saw. I have a compound miter saw, a recipricating saw, and an angle grinder. I don't have a circular saw either. Which tool I have is the easiest? I am thinking to use the recipricating saw but the cut won't be clean and smooth?

MC

Reply to
MiamiCuse

"MiamiCuse" wrote in news:4oydnaVuEpfnLcDVnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@dsli.com:

No buds with a table saw or radial arm saw? You can get a cheap Skill circular saw for maybe $39. You would have to temporairly fasten the picket to something while cutting it and use a board as a jig if you want it really really straight like a table saw.

Reply to
Red Green

"MiamiCuse" wrote in news:4oydnaVuEpfnLcDVnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@dsli.com:

What kind of tools do your friends have? If you were my neighbor, I'd rip some boards for you for a beer.

Reply to
Steve

Steve wrote in news:Xns9AC4DEA502242184365720018436572@66.250.146.128:

I rip farts for free.

Reply to
Red Green

none of the tools you have are appropriate to the job

I would suggest getting a used table saw on craigslist (cheap) & then either keep it when you're done or resell it.

Or rent one? But I doubt anyone rents table sawa.

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

I would suggest getting a used table saw on craigslist (cheap) & then either keep it when you're done or resell it.

Or rent one? But I doubt anyone rents table sawa.

cheers Bob

*************************************** I don't usually recommend cheap tools, but a $200 saw from Sears is adequate for the job and will last the typical homeowner for many years. I see them for sale all the time used too.

Just be sure to take the time to find out how to use on properly and safely, make a couple of push sticks and learn how to set the fence to avoid kickback. Never use the miter to crosscut with the fence.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Seriously, if you own a house and are up to projects like building a fence, you NEED a circular saw. You don't need a pro-grade for the couple of hours a year of cutting you will be doing, one of the 50-buck ones is fine. You spent several hundred on the wood for the fence- go buy whatever cheap corded saw the big-box has on sale, and a couple of those big-ass spring clamps, and you are all set. Lay out and clamp on a couple of sawhorses using another board as a straightedge, and in a couple of minutes you will be done. Some things are not worth doing the hard way.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Here's a novel concept. And a less than ten dollar solution.

S. Barker

Quote: MiamiCuse wrote on Sat, 21 June 2008 20:52

Your best bet is some sort of circular saw, either table or hand-held. Buying a table saw would work but it is not as versatile as a hand-held.

I&#39;ll tell you one of my best tool buys of all time was a cordless craftsmen kit that had a small cordless circular saw (I think 6" or 8" blade) and cordless drill. Also came with a flashlight. All three use the same battery pack (18v) and there were two batteries included so you could have one charging while using another. I think I found it on sale for < $200 but that was 5+ years ago. It all still works great and I use the drill or saw every other month of so. In fact the last project was 300 ft2 of engineered hardwood and I used the little saw for the whole job (just cutting the lengths to size as needed).

Anyway the point I&#39;m trying to make is that if you find a good cordless saw it will be really handy in many situations like you describe. It can rip those 1x6 with no problem (has a guide to keep you at constant width).

I would not recommend a table saw because it would not be as useful in the long run.

Hope that helps.

-- Richard Thoms Founder - Top Service Pros, Inc. Connecting Homeowners and Local Service Professionals

topservicepros

How you can do remodeling without a circular saw, at the very least, is beyond my comprehension. Buy one - they&#39;re cheap enough and you&#39;ll find all sorts of uses for it.

RicodJour

topservicepros wrote in news:KZqdnQ398aAY5cPVnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

a table saw would work but it is not as versatile as a hand-held.

kit that had a small cordless circular saw (I think 6" or 8" blade) and cordless drill. Also came with a flashlight. All three use the same battery pack (18v) and there were two batteries included so you could have one charging while using another. I think I found it on sale for < $200 but that was 5+ years ago. It all still works great and I use the drill or saw every other month of so. In fact the last project was 300 ft2 of engineered hardwood and I used the little saw for the whole job (just cutting the lengths to size as needed).

will be really handy in many situations like you describe. It can rip those 1x6 with no problem (has a guide to keep you at constant width).

I&#39;m not sure why or if it&#39;s the same for others but it seems each paragraph of all your posts show up as a single line. Anyone else seeing this?

Reply to
Red Green

Buying a table saw would work but it is not as versatile as a hand-held.

kit that had a small cordless circular saw (I think 6" or 8" blade) and cordless drill. Also came with a flashlight. All three use the same battery pack (18v) and there were two batteries included so you could have one charging while using another. I think I found it on sale for < $200 but that was 5+ years ago. It all still works great and I use the drill or saw every other month of so. In fact the last project was 300 ft2 of engineered hardwood and I used the little saw for the whole job (just cutting the lengths to size as needed).

it will be really handy in many situations like you describe. It can rip those

1x6 with no problem (has a guide to keep you at constant width).

Looks fine to me, and I&#39;m using Agent 3.3.

Reply to
KLS

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in news:MHq7k.6295$ snipped-for-privacy@nlpi068.nbdc.sbc.com:

Heck, if you want econo, Blue Borg even has one on a stand (no wheels or folding) for $99. It&#39;s that Task Force line. Then a couple of Firestorms for 129 & 139 then the entry level Hitachi for 229.

Here&#39;s the link to the list of em Miami if your considering it.

|0&N=0&sortOp=lowToHigh

Reply to
Red Green

hhhh

Yes. It&#39;s like he has no margins set. Have to read sideways :(

Reply to
Oren

You need to enable wrapping.

Reply to
Steve

On 6/22/2008 8:43 AM S. Barker spake thus:

I get "The product you are trying to view is not currently available."

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

An inexpensive circular saw, carbine blade and the rip fence made for the saw you buy makes a poor man&#39;s table saw for ripping the occasional board.

If your cuts are not straight ( same amount needs to be removed all along the board), skip the fence and use a spare board as others have suggested.

Seriously a circular saw should be the next tool a DIY homeowner buys. A drill always seems to be the first item needed.

Reply to
Colbyt

me too. what is the link supposed to point to? not a hand saw I hope : )

Reply to
MiamiCuse

KLS wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Odd. Everyone&#39;s posts OK except for topservicepros. Oh well.

Reply to
Red Green

hmmm... the link still works for me.

S. Barker