Stupid smoke alarm

No such codes or inspections in this town. But they're (we're) working on it. My wife and I are all for it. We try to make a decent place for people to live and there are some genuine 'slum lords' in this town.

Steve Barker DLT

Uh, if you're the landlord. YOU make the rules about stuff like that. I'm sure your insurance carrier would agree. Even in a no-code non-inspected area, if the place burns down and somebody gets killed, who do you think they are gonna sue? No house is risk-free, of course, but if you provided basic modern safety equipment in good working order, that goes a long way with a judge.

For a rental, I'd go with line powered detectors, hard-mounted to a ceiling box. (not the usual itty-bitty screws or velcro like battery detectors use.) I'd also include a paragraph in the lease about not messing with any installed safety equipment, and that if the stuff is disabled when you do your annual inspection of the property (or are there for any other legitimate reason), it is considered a violation of the lease. Most canned leases already include a paragraph about 'no changes to property without consent of landlord'- this would just spell it out in a little more detail.

Yes, kitchen smoke alarms can be a nuisance at times- that is why I bought one with a 'hush' button when I moved in here. But you have to press it every time something gets stuck in toaster- you can't tape it down or anything.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Here in Ontario smoke alarms are mandatory and they must be placed properly or in the event of a fire you can be heavily fined or even charged. This applies to new and old construction.

Reply to
Worn Out Retread

In Ontario, the landlord is held responsible.

Reply to
Worn Out Retread

On Aug 30, 9:14=EF=BF=BDam, "Worn Out Retread" wrote= :

:k-mdnbIR85pUgiXVnZ2dnUVZ_t snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com...

tion, you don't

they're

a kitchen vent fan exhausting outdoors would likely end the nuisance alarms from frying foods

Reply to
hallerb

No law requires smoke detectors be installed in inappropriate places such as where they would go off any time cooking is performed in the kitchen.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

Great idea. Also makes battery replacement and cleaning easier.

Reply to
HeyBub

messagenews:k-mdnbIR85pUgiXVnZ2dnUVZ_t snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com...

It doesn't.

Reply to
Blattus Slafaly

Do you have a range hood? Are you using it? I would start there. The smoke alarms are doing exactly what they were designed to do.

I would start with the venting (or a range hood filter, re circulation type). It it is enough to trigger the alarm, it deserves a filter. If that still does not eliminate the problem, then try replacing the likely smoke detector with an photoelectric type. As John Suggested.

Reply to
jmeehan

re: Do you have a range hood? Are you using it?

Do you have the ability to read? Are you using it?

The OP wrote: "I do use the stove hood fan which exhausts outside while cooking."

Reply to
DerbyDad03

great idea if you like to die a horrible death in a fire maybe. there are rules for where smokes go and 'on the shelf ' is not one of them.

Reply to
Bob

Good point.

How about this for a compromise: Attach the smoke detector to the wall with Velcro so it can be easily given a "time out" when it starts acting up?

Reply to
HeyBub

Please cut the steaming horseshit.

You won't die a horrible death if the smoke alarms are place inteligently. In the kitchen producing constant false alarms isn't one of those inteligent locations.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

still not a good idea. just put a screw in the wall and hang it.

Reply to
Bob

If you had read my posts you'd see I stated that a heat detector would be used in the kitchen. Code spells out where smokes go. Intelligent placement would be accordiong to code. 2 places NOT listed by code are 'on the shelf' and 'intelligently". Besides, by your post I seriously doubt

*you* could place one 'intelligently'. Hell you can't even spell intelligent.
Reply to
Bob

But thousands of alarms NOT in the kitchen are set off by cooking. Alarms placed according to codes in intelligent locations.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Yup. Obviously the OP doesn't have it in such a location if cooking is impossible w/out setting off the alarm. The usual problem is that the alarm is too close to the ceiling. Stick it on a far wall, at least 2' below the ceiling and it shouldn't false unless the roast is burning. Or don't use an ionization style detector.

I usually put the alarm on the ceiling near the doorway to the kitchen, outside the kitchen.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

you really shouldn't be giving adviice about life safety stuff you know not about, dude. Did you know that in a fire the smoke will push clean air into the corner? According to code any smoke on a wall shall be between 4 and 12 inches down from a normal flat horizontal ceiling found in most houses. Not closer than 4 inches from the ceiling and not farther down than 12 inches. This is tho keep it out of the 'dead' area for smoke and in the initial smoke area of a fire.. Smokes should also be installed according to manufacturers directions. For HeyBub I have yet to see a manufacturer state velcro is acceptable for securing a smoke detector. Installation instructions are usually on the installation instructions for smoke detecors. RTFM

Reply to
Bob

Of course not but you may have no choice in the matter if the required location is immediately adjacent to the kitchen.

Reply to
Worn Out Retread

In our case it didn't either. The fan would have to be very powerful to be effective as our ceilings didn't until recently have any barrier between the kitchen and the smoke alarm. We installed a partial wall down from the ceiling to normal door height and that has eliminated 90% of the alarms.

Reply to
Worn Out Retread