Stupid, stupid, stupid! Left garden hose on...

Came back at least two hours later to find I'd forgotten to turn off the garden hose after watering the plants, then going shopping. It was only on at a moderate flow -- more than a trickle, but significant. I've just read the meter under the pavement and worked out (extrapolating from my previous bill) how much has gone. The estimated reading for 20/Aug/12 based on past consumption should be 446. The actual reading is 448.68, so I've wasted over 2.5m³, which is a heck of a lot. So I'm planning on emergency measures like all-over washes instead of baths for the next three months.
But as I get older and more forgetful, is there a gadget I can fit to either turn off the tap automatically or warn if it's left on? Okay, so I wouldn't have heard a warning while out shopping, but I was back home for at least half an hour before going out into the garden and then noticing the lake of water on the lawn.
MM
Add pictures here
✖
On 20/08/12 18:53, MM wrote:

Get a spay gun, something like these.
http://www.hozelock.com/watering/spray-guns.html
Andy C
Add pictures here
✖

The local cats will love it.
Add pictures here
✖
On 20/08/12 20:52, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

I was hoping no one would notice ! :-{
Add pictures here
✖
Andy Cap wrote:

But you still need to remember to turn it off at the tap. I came home one day last week and heard a streaming/spraying noise from next door. Their spray gun had half popped off the hosepipe and water was gushing all over the yard. I turned their tap off for them.
JGH
Add pictures here
✖
I was just thinking that, a kind of dead mans handle for hoses. Actually if it had still been flat rate and not metered from what people tell me that bill would be crippling now. I still think he has saved, also of course the water will probably be used by the plants and thus not so much watering needed for a while. Brian
--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Andy Cap" < snipped-for-privacy@trashmail.net> wrote in message
✖
On Mon, 20 Aug 2012 22:38:55 +0100, "Brian Gaff"

Well, in such hot weather those 2.5m³ disappeared faster than hotdogs at a barbecue. Mind you, I expect the lawn will look a bit greener over the next few days, so it's not all bad.
MM
Add pictures here
✖
On 20/08/2012 18:53, MM wrote:

Nearly a whole fiver's worth...
Add pictures here
✖
On Mon, 20 Aug 2012 19:07:18 +0100, Clive George

Not the point! Waste not, want not.
MM
Add pictures here
✖
MM wrote:

What does 2.5m³ of water cost?
--
Adam

Add pictures here
✖
On 20/08/2012 19:10, ARWadsworth wrote:

[snip]
I reckon my water's on about £5-£6 per cu. metre
Add pictures here
✖

I'm being charged £1.13 per cubic metre by Yorkshire Water - but that doesn't include their sewerage charge of £1.33 per cubic metre which is itemised separately.
Nick
Add pictures here
✖
On Tue, 21 Aug 2012 10:00:42 +0100, Nick Odell

I don't pay any sewerage charge, but I DO pay an estate management fee of £400 annually for upkeep and emptying of the private sewage treatment plant, street lighting and green space maintenance. That's £400 x 40 dwellings, BTW!
MM
Add pictures here
✖

Is that in the UK?
Anglian Water charges me (from 27/Jun/12) 183.36 pence per m³, no standing charge (So-Low tariff).
MM
Add pictures here
✖
On Tue, 21 Aug 2012 10:04:28 +0100, MM wrote:

Plus rather more than that for sewage estimated at 90% of volume of water. 2.5 cu. m. is more than 10% of my annual consumption.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

I don't pay any sewerage charge. Private treatment plant.
MM
Add pictures here
✖
On 21/08/2012 10:04, MM wrote:

I'm with Anglian and they charge me £1.36 per c/m + 7p daily standing charge.
Add pictures here
✖
On Tue, 21 Aug 2012 23:55:22 +0100, Justine Time

The So-Low tariff still works out slightly cheaper for me, but not by much. At an annual usage of 50m³ I would spend £91.68 on So-Low, but £93.55 on your rate with the 7p daily standing charge.
On 40m³ the saving would be slightly more: £73.34 compared to £79.95
My usage varies but hovers around 48m³ per year. The cut-off for being allowed on to the So-Low tariff is 75m³
MM
Add pictures here
✖
On 21/08/2012 09:52, Allan wrote:

Forgot to mention: that's the lot: standing charges, sewerage and the like (Yorkshire Water/United Utilities) Having checked my last YW bill, it's 118p per cu meter for water. Over the whole bill, a cu metre of water would be £6.18 per cu me (all in). Depends how you want to think of it.
Add pictures here
✖
On Mon, 20 Aug 2012 19:10:09 +0100, ARWadsworth wrote:

I'm in the US, but I like running numbers... that's 152559 ci I think, or 660 gallons. I get about 4 gpm out of our well, so that's 165 minutes of run-time, or 2.75 hours.
The well pump uses a 750W electric motor, and electric is about 9c/kWh, so that's 6.75c/hour to run the pump. 2.75 x 6.75 = 18.56c total cost.
In other words, just a shade under 12 pence.
If you want to factor in the cost of drilling/installing a new well, then (assuming a 20 year lifespan, although we've got 26 years on our well and 35 on the pump) add 4p to the above.
cheers
Jules
Add pictures here
✖