Stupid, stupid, stupid! Left garden hose on...

Yes, really, that's from 30's semi near Birmingham, flat conversion in Bristol, 70's or so town house in St Albans and this old farm house in Cumbria.

Water meters are a fairly recent, 20 to 30 years, addition to the UK housing stock. I think all new build has to have one and if you retrofit the property is stuck with it ie you or new owner can't go back to un-metered and billing based on rateable value.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Be nice to reduce the water bill by nearly 50% but I note you use a singular "I". So I guess you live on your own or just you and SO. I have= a family, one of which is a teenage daughter. She'll get through 2m^3 of= water a week just for her "quick baths" that normally take 3hrs...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Umm. We had one put in 18 months ago (it has halved our water/sewage bill). I'm sure on the paperwork it said we could revert to rateable value if we wanted to.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Because it *costs* to deliver water to houses, oddly enough.

I agree no sane person could live without a hot tub - and that costs that accrue from children are not the parents' responsibility.

Reply to
Tim Streater

We haven't got one either.

Reply to
Bob Eager

No...we just pay a flat rate. Not free.

Reply to
Bob Eager

With Severn Trent (maybe other suppliers) if you have a meter fitted, you can choose to go back to non-metered bill, but any subsequent occupier will have to have a metered bill.

Reply to
Andy Burns

In message , Tim Streater writes

Rather - it's "owned" by a company which has to make a profit for the shareholders

Reply to
geoff

I'm with Anglian and they charge me £1.36 per c/m + 7p daily standing charge.

Reply to
Justine Time

Hum, maybe that was it. Can't say I've ever paid that much attention as I have no intention of fitting a water meter unless forced. The no get out if moving to a place with a meter rings a bell.

It might be worth fitting a meter when the kids have left home but this is a large house, no water meter would be a selling point to any one with a family...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Similar on rateable charges here, but now £7pcm and just dropped to £3 for a while to absorb the surplus.

Reply to
PeterC

No wonder women go so wrinkly...

Reply to
PeterC

The So-Low tariff still works out slightly cheaper for me, but not by much. At an annual usage of 50m³ I would spend £91.68 on So-Low, but £93.55 on your rate with the 7p daily standing charge.

On 40m³ the saving would be slightly more: £73.34 compared to £79.95

My usage varies but hovers around 48m³ per year. The cut-off for being allowed on to the So-Low tariff is 75m³

MM

Reply to
MM

Being metered has saved me money compared to the flat rate down in Bucks. At least with a meter, you can ration your usage if necessary. And with flat rate there's no doubt that people waste huge amounts. For example, leaving the hose tap on. That wastage comes out of MY pocket, but with flat rate, who cares?

MM

Reply to
MM

Eventually everyone will be on a meter. It's the only sensible way.

MM

Reply to
MM

Anyone done any research into why teenage girls can take so long in a bathroom and use so much shower water?..

Reply to
tony sayer

As is anything that's any good. So your point was *what*, precisely?

Reply to
Tim Streater

You are harry AICMFP.

Reply to
Tim Streater

cheaper still to tie a bit of string around your neck or finger with the wo= rds "I've left the hosepipe on". This morning I wanted to take my ipad to w= ork so I sent myself an email, but I left the ipad on my clothes so I woul= dn't forget. Then this mornign I wondered why I had sent myself as email, oh it was to r= emmebr to collect the take the ipad :-).

Reply to
whisky-dave

I expect they haven't thought about it and no one has taxed them with questions like "Have you no thought for the environment?"

I expect they are all keen on saving the planet, but it doesn't occur to them to alter their own lifestyle in any way.

Reply to
Tim Streater