Stupid weather

It's gone from fairly nice temps if rainy here to near 100° temps . I was just out sprinklin' the garden and noticed at least one of my lettuce plants has started to bolt . Dammit , didn't really get big enough to pick until last week , and the weather is tryin' to do me out of the fruit of my labors . Hey Ma Nature , howzabout showin' a LITTLE kindness after all that rain and flooding and all ?

Reply to
Snag

In the words of The Great Bubba, "Ah feeyul yore pain", LOL! I quit trying to grow lettuce years ago for the very reason that's making you crazy. Where I live "spring" is about 10 days in late February or early March. After that, temperatures are likely to be too high for lettuce to be reliable.

Reply to
Derald

The weathers crap here too. Its been solid rain and the only thing I got in is lettuce. and a few onions. Its screwing up planting here big time.

Ohio zone 5

Reply to
DogDiesel

I am about three weeks behind in planting because of the rain. This is the first week of nice weather here in Michigan. Things are drying out were I can cut the grass and plant things. The bad part is I do not have the time or energy to do it all at once. Plants in my pots are getting a bit too large and not doing as well.

But the weather is starting to shape up nicely after a long harsh winter and very wet spring. I just hope for nice summer.

Reply to
Nad R

Join the crowd. I had trouble getting plants in because of the wet ground. That was up to a week or so ago. Now the temps are in the

90s every day and no rain.
Reply to
The Cook

Had a similiar experience down here, too. Spring normally is one of our dry seasons but April was much wetter than normal. According to my diary, I did not plant anything between April 2 and April 30, which is unusual. Mowed part of the "yard" yesterday for the first time since last summer not so much because it "needed" mowing but shield bugs have begun to appear and mowing seems to reduce their numbers somewhat, although, that effect may be illusory.

Reply to
Derald

Same here. Had slightly more than an inch the whole of May and slightly more than an inch three days ago. I'm picking yellow squash, cucumbers, English peas, bell peppers, jalapeño peppers and tomatoes but the tomatoes have begun losing their blossoms. Of course, that as well may be operator error as temperatures; I don't do real well with tomatoes. DW&I are not what one would call tomato aficionados and I think they can sense my disinterest, LOL! Oh, and the Provider beans are in full inflorescence. The last planting of English peas (Little Marvel) is beginning to blossom. I don't expect much from them because they're a late planting and it's getting hot but I still talk nicely to them, encouraging them to be brave and persevere! The collection point where these data are taken is named for Nearest Real Town but, at six miles' distance, is closer to me than to NRT and is representative:

Reply to
Derald