Rain rain go away

Rain Rain go away Come back another day Nad wants to play in his garden

Three days of rain coming.... Argggggg....

Reply to
Nad R

We can use some rain in west Texas. The only rain we've had in a year was May 11, 2011. It finally brought some relief. Temperatures dropped from 98 deg every day to mid

70's then 80's for about ten days. Now it's back into the 90's again. Everything is dried out so bad fires are burning everywhere.

We have to water the garden and trees everyday, but the garden is thriving. Squash, green beans, beats, turnips, tomato, okra are growing good. Thats all thats up so far.

I'd trade you locations, but I doubt you could stand it here. New neighbors are building a house down the road and the wind blew so hard yesterday it blew off the rafters that were up.

I'll pray for you're rain to stop and you can pray for us to get some here.

Reply to
Mysterious Traveler

yeah, looks like you got the worser of it today. we did get some rain (further north and west of you).

Tuesday was a nice day out, i managed to get a lot done. the strawberry patch is all set, the everbearing plants are now in (for variety), the beans are all planted on the tulip hill and around the perimeter (to keep the strawberries from running inwards -- this worked well last year). it looks like a nice crop if i can get the berries to harvest time.

i was hoping to get out today to get one garden ready and planted. the forecast said rain after 3pm -- rain started about 11am. ha!

four bins from the worm farm are ready to go to their gardens. only two gardens are ready. cool rainy weather will be perfect for that sort of garden tinkering. probably messy too, but hey, we like a good mud pie. :)

yesterday was also the first run of making charcoal. not sure i will do it again. too hard on my lungs if there's any drifts of smoke. still was interesting and fun. i've always liked fires. a little more study and perhaps some engineering and tinkering eventually. we shall see...

how's moomoo?

songbird

Reply to
songbird

Yes, I hope it rains for you and not here... For a week or two. In the last thirty days it has rained for at least 20 of those days. I will not be planting this Memorial weekend which is typically in Michigan the big garden weekend kickoff.

I do like where I live... If only the weather would return to normal.

Reply to
Nad R

Rain today. Possible rain on Friday. Possible rain next week. We are running 10 to 15 degrees below average for the last month. Beginning to look like another cool summer :O(

At least the lettuce is at critical mass, and producing daily salads.

"Climate is what we expect, weather is what we get" - Mark Twain

Reply to
Billy

Bessy is due date is today. Fresh milk in a few more weeks... If thing go well.

Making your own charcoal... There is something I have not thought off... Another dangerous thought. I remember the history channel had a show on how to make charcoal a long time ago.

Reply to
Nad R

:) walking on pins and needles?

sometimes i just try things to see what happens. :) i figured i could do it by deepening part of a trench i'd already dug last year (about 32 cu ft), piling in the dry easy burning stuff on the bottom, smashing it all down, and then stacking the bigger stuff on top, smashing that down, then on top of it all i put some wet cardboard and clay/dirt.

by the time it was all together i'd say it was about 60% air. left the ends open to get some air in there and lit it up at one end. the winds were constantly shifting, so i lit the other end too.

i walked miles with the smoke following me around. a good comedy time-lapse video... tinkering to keep it going and from completely caving in. taking dirt off the top, moving the big pieces to get them charred all the way through. getting the wet cardboard pieces dried out and then charred...

i probably got a few cubic feet from it all when done. can't tell for sure, it's all under water now. can't wait for it to dry enough to dig it up and look underneath and around. i wonder if any of the clay in the soil was able to get hot enough to fire. that along with the charcoal would be a nice addition to the texture of the soil. i'll be able to test it all out this year because i'll be growing five stripes of different plants through it.

can't wait to get back out there. :) going to have to get a canoe and plant rice this year the way it's going now. rain, rain and more rain.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

Not me, however bessy is. She is large and bit agitated.

Still raining here now. The rain has been relentless. The ten day forecast has very little rain and I will need that time for everything to dry out. I believe it is a record rainfall here in Michigan for The month of May.

Reply to
Nad R

heh.

yeah, it sure seems like it. the neighboring field is underwater for the fourth time this spring and more rain forecast for Sunday. i am hoping it misses us. i'd like to get to some sunshine on Monday with no more rain so the plants we finished planting today can perk up a little. they're looking a bit pale and spotty.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

Rained last night, isolated showers today. My grass is very tall. The drainage ditches are full. The fields are saturated and this dry spell is needed. My plants are still in pots ready for transplanting. However, ninety percent of what I plant will be seeds directly in the ground.

Bessy is past her due date, so no calf yet.

Reply to
Nad R

Nad R wrote: ...

i might need some water wings afterall. storm heading right for us now and looks like a good line of strong downpours will go right through us the long way. i sure hope they fade a bit before they get here.

i went out and covered up the new plantings, and then made sure the strawberries had some cover too.

this is going to be _interesting_ our ditches are pretty full too.

i sure hope she waits until at least tomorrow morning now!

songbird

Reply to
songbird

Yep, my weather alert app just went off. I see the radar, rain rain please go away. The storm should be here in about two hours. So this makes what, fifty four days of rain, not continuos of course.

I have nothing planted yet. However between the rains the flower and garden beds have been prepared and ready to go. Tomorrow will be a family get together.

Reply to
Nad R

Went from one extreme to the other here in NYC. Rain, 55 degrees, fog last week.

Yesterday and today, 80+. Tomorrow and Tuesday, 90+.

Chris

Reply to
Chris