Stupid, stupid, stupid! Left garden hose on...

Well, in such hot weather those 2.5m³ disappeared faster than hotdogs at a barbecue. Mind you, I expect the lawn will look a bit greener over the next few days, so it's not all bad.

MM

Reply to
MM

I'm actually thinking how/where I could install a shower, even though I hate the things. There's a small "guest" lav downstairs and if I ripped out the small corner basin I'd probably have enough space for a shower. There are hand-washing facilities adjacent in the annex where this second lav is situated. Maybe I could turn it into a wetroom. Always quite liked that idea, rather than the stupid ledge you trip over when stumbling from the shower, hunting for a towel. God, how I hate 'em!

MM

Reply to
MM

Gee, thanks, geoff, for your kind words! Much appreciated.

MM

Reply to
MM

Is there any other kind under the pavement? ;)

MM

Reply to
MM
[snip]

I reckon my water's on about £5-£6 per cu. metre

Reply to
Allan

I'm being charged £1.13 per cubic metre by Yorkshire Water - but that doesn't include their sewerage charge of £1.33 per cubic metre which is itemised separately.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

Is that in the UK?

Anglian Water charges me (from 27/Jun/12) 183.36 pence per m³, no standing charge (So-Low tariff).

MM

Reply to
MM

I donno all we have in our water supply is a street stop c*ck 10 yards down the road.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I don't pay any sewerage charge, but I DO pay an estate management fee of £400 annually for upkeep and emptying of the private sewage treatment plant, street lighting and green space maintenance. That's £400 x 40 dwellings, BTW!

MM

Reply to
MM

Aren't you metered then?

MM

Reply to
MM

Nope, that's why I'm wondering what these water meter things are. B-) Never lived in a place with a water meter. Water costs about =A3300/year= supply only, no mains drain.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Plus rather more than that for sewage estimated at 90% of volume of water.

2.5 cu. m. is more than 10% of my annual consumption.
Reply to
PeterC

Really? Everywhere I've lived they've had water meters. France, US, Switzerland.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Our place in the US is metered, but the one in Scotland is not. It's a flat rate, paid along with the council tax.

Reply to
S Viemeister

I don't pay any sewerage charge. Private treatment plant.

MM

Reply to
MM

I'm in the US, but I like running numbers... that's 152559 ci I think, or

660 gallons. I get about 4 gpm out of our well, so that's 165 minutes of run-time, or 2.75 hours.

The well pump uses a 750W electric motor, and electric is about 9c/kWh, so that's 6.75c/hour to run the pump. 2.75 x 6.75 = 18.56c total cost.

In other words, just a shade under 12 pence.

If you want to factor in the cost of drilling/installing a new well, then (assuming a 20 year lifespan, although we've got 26 years on our well and

35 on the pump) add 4p to the above.

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Forgot to mention: that's the lot: standing charges, sewerage and the like (Yorkshire Water/United Utilities) Having checked my last YW bill, it's 118p per cu meter for water. Over the whole bill, a cu metre of water would be £6.18 per cu me (all in). Depends how you want to think of it.

Reply to
Allan

People in the UK have a funny attitude to metering water. Like, water falls out of the sky for nothing, so constant uninterrupted pure water should be piped to my house and the sewage taken away for nothing.

Let's see now, oil occurs for nothing, so petrol should cost ...

Reply to
Tim Streater

Now the rationing has finished why not:-)

Just jout a friend considering buting a house that has meterered water. He's not happy. 2 kids and one on the way plus all the vehicles to wash, and hot tub.

As he is moving up a council tax bracket (or maybe 2) from his previous house I suspect he will pay around the same price for his water per year (apart from when the extention is built)

Reply to
ARWadsworth

My water rates for supply and sewerage was £410 per year, paid in two halves each totalling £205. I had a water meter installed and now pay £14 per month

Reply to
Phil L