Garden hose leak - on water meter !!!!

Aaargh !!!!

Woke up yesterday morning and heard the sound of water out my back garden. My hoselock hose reel seemed to have 'popped' in the night and water was gushing all over the place !!!

I know - I should have turned it off at the tap.....

I watered the garden at about midnight so its started somewhere betweent then and 7am.

Problem is I'm on a water meter so who knows how much I've wasted !!! Anyone like to guess ?

Reply to
paulfoel

If it was on full chuff then around 7000 litres @ 0.08p/litre. About £5.60

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

I think you've overlooked that 92.5% - well in my area - will also be charged as returned waste water !!!.. another £8.37 locally.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Cap

You want a guess? How about 2000 litres? 500? 6000? Depends whether it popped at 12:05 or 6:55, and what your water flow rate is (varies dramatically between areas).

You should be able to work out what the damage is... read your meter now, then compare that figure with what the *expected* meter reading should be: you first work out your average daily consumption by looking at old water bills which include *actual* not *guessed* readings, then add on the appropriate number of days consumption to the most recent reading you have. If you can calculate your average figure using readings taken at the same time of year, when your (hosepipe) usage patterns may be similar, then so much the better.

David

Reply to
Lobster

So does that mean a standard tap dispenses 1000 lites per hour.

I dont think it would be 7000 lites. My garden wasnt that wet !!!!

Reply to
paulfoel

Yeh. Think its 85% for me....

Reply to
paulfoel

So how'd u work out the per lire price ?

Reply to
paulfoel

Even after doing all that (instead of something more worthwhile), you will still have to pay for it!!

HTH

John

Reply to
John

And I bet you won't do it again :-(

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Indeed I did. Well spotted that chap.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

I had a look on t'internet. It is open to variation but it's close enough.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

16 litres a minute doesn't sound unreasonable. Go fill a bucket and see how long it takes.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

Assuming you can still afford it :o)

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

Just be consoled by the fact that even some (London?) water companies are getting fined for not fixing their leaks.

Good reason for not having a meter!

Reply to
Michael Chare

Stick a bucket under it and time the fill. Then do sum sums. The water pressure is usually higher at night, so add 50%.

Reply to
<me9

I wouldn't go back to a general charge.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

What's a garden hose?

Pete (Southern Water customer)

Reply to
PM

A hose is Southern's Xmas party fund generator (if they catch you).

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

Why?

I could leave my hose on regularly overnight and still pay less than before I had a meter.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Why would you be watering the garden at midnight? Is there a hose pipe ban in your area? If so please advise your name and address together with your water supply companies name and address so that I may do my good deed for today and report you.

Reply to
Stickems.