stupid dremel question

Hello: Being that I am getting older, and doing less repair in my home, I purchased a dremel rotary tool, for all the small repairs and things I can do. Great item. It can do anything, and I have found many uses for it. It has become my all around, handy item. There is just one thing I do not understand. I purchased from home depot the model 698 meag accessary kit. I have tried most of the accessories out and they work fine. but in the instructions they give instructions for replacing the sanding bands on the drum sander attatchmend. Parts 408, and 407. They say to loosen the screw, slip on the sanding band and then tighten the screw. They even give a photo. I do not understand this. The sanding bands slip on without any screw adjustment. And I do not understand what the screw is for. I understand how the cutoff disks need to be attached using the screw, but this is puzzling me.

Much regards Jerry

Reply to
j.lef

Tightening the screw compresses the rubber drum causing the sides to bulge out. This will grip the sanding band so that it doesn't stall when you apply it to the article you are sanding and let the rubber drum spin uselessly.

Reply to
KLM

">

Stupid me. LOL. I see what you are saying. Much thanks

Reply to
j.lef

you put the sanding bands on to the rubber piece and then you tighten the screw and the rubber barrel shaped object then is squeezed and expands sideways and this holds the sanding band onto the rubber barrel shaped object... if you dont tighten the screw down the sanding band will not be tight and fly off...... pretty simple once you do it...... hope this helps.

Reply to
jim

oh, forgot, make sure you use safety glasses.. when i was a kid, like early 20's i had a small dremel tool and the cut off wheels would fly by me when the break... no problem.. i never got hit... then about 15 yrs. later i was cutting a bolt on an old lawnmower and the dremel tool cut off wheel broke and my right eye caught 12 pieces of the broken emery wheel... doctor plucked it out one piece at a time. i was lucky, no internal damage to the eyeball, just the outside later was cut and the broken wheel did not penetrate the eye ball.... i never use any type of took now that can cause eye injuries without the safety googles...... they only cost a couple of bucks....

Reply to
jim

Thanks. I always wear protective lenses. For everything. Even painting. My kids used to make fund of me until one day a five gallon bucket of paint fell off of a ladder, unto our heads, and they got paint in their eyes, and I had no problem, except the cleanup of a bucket of paint. Now they wear goggles also. Heck, I even wear goggles when vacuuming my work area. I guess I am getting old. LOL

Much regards Jerry

Reply to
j.lef

if you can slip on the bands without loosening the screw, it's already loose. try snugging it up after installing a sanding band.

dave

j.lef wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Wacky number of the day. The accelleration at the surface of an abrasive disk going at 33000RPM is over 16000G, and there is a force of about 5 or 6 kilos trying to pull the wheel apart.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Reply to
jhill

Are these off-brand bands, or rubber bits?

Try removing the screw entirely, sliding it off the mandrell, and pushing it out with a pencil end.

You'r not grinding anything odd with them?

Reply to
Ian Stirling

not sure it will work, but try a little talcum powder between the drum and sandpaper.

dave

jhill wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Everything is from Dremel display rack in the store.

I tried that, it is still stuck: pushing on the rubber expands it back out

wood

Reply to
jhill

certainly worth a try!