Wil-bond wilbond Question

Has anyone here actually used wil-bond / wilbond in painting?

I want to paint over some semi-gloss trim and walls and was dreading the sanding step when I read that this product was available.

Is it really a timesaver?

Was the bond between paint layers all that you wanted it to be?

I also read a post where you could put it into the paint being applied...under what circumstances would you do that?

Reply to
mypet

I have used another brand of paint prep/ deglosser, but don't recall the brand. I think they have acetone or other carcinogenic solvents that etch the surface of the semi-gloss, providing a rougher base for topcoats to adhere to. Must use lots of ventilation, or mask. Remember, alkyd over alkyd or acrylic paint just needs TSP cleaning, rinsing, and light sanding, if you dont want to use deglosser. Acrylic over alkyd is possible, but needs roughed up surface, and intervening primer. Once you take a sniff of the deglosser, you may opt for sanding. BTW only light sanding is needed.

Reply to
Roger

I went to the paint store and the guy there said "not" to bother sanding the semi-gloss latex painted wall as I was going to go back over with more semi-gloss latex paint, just to wash well with either dish washing liquid or tsp when I went in to get a paint chip. Did I understand this correctly?

When I went home DH was sanding the crown molding and thought this was super news! So:

Will washing the wall with dish washing liquid make the surface bond to the paint or do I need to keep sanding?

If sanding must proceed, what type of sandpaper do the rest of you use for curved painted surfaces? Sandpaper seems to be knocking off some edges and sanding sponges seem to give out really fast!

I just don't see how it will be possible to even "lightly sand" in the tiny cracks!

Suggestions?

Reply to
mypet