Dremel / Mandrel question

hi all,

I was wondering if a Mandrel [with wheel] would fit/work in my standard drill. I'm doing a smallish job, and don't plan on needing it after that.

I thought I might try that first, before buying another tool just for the mandrel. If it doesn't work out, I could then buy the Dremel, or similar tool.

thanks, marc

Reply to
marco polo

It sort of works but the speed is a lot lower

Reply to
gfretwell

Should work, if slowly. A good Dremel is nameplate rated for

5,000 RPM or so. My good drill runs 2500 or so, and my good cordless is 1300, or so, on high speed.

You can get a Dremel style rotary tool kit at Harbor Fright for about $15.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

thanks for the feedback,

so the difference is the drill Speed...

I may end up buying a high speed drill , if need be, but I thought I would try it without first, since it's a once time use situation.

marc

Reply to
marco polo

If I had a dremel it would have been used once or twice in 30 years, drills to me are the multi tool

Reply to
ransley

Without knowing what the job is I couldn't be sure-- but I suspect the drill won't spin fast enough to be worthwhile.

Fast 1/4" drill- 2-3K RPM Cheap rotary tool 10-20K RPM good rotary tool [$60 or so] 5-35K RPM

A drill is also a lot less 'agile' than a rotary tool. And if by 'wheel' you mean one of the many different cutoff wheels- you need to have a steady hand to not just shatter them in seconds. Easier to hold the rotary tool steady than a pistol-grip drill.

You can get a Harbor Freight rotary tool for $30-- or a Dremel mini-mite for about the same.

If it was me I'd spend the $60 or so for a decent size corded Dremel. [and buy one that will take a flex-shaft. not all of them do] Trust me, you may not use it often. . . but when you need it you'll pat yourself on the back for buying it now.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

a dremel tool is one of those tools that maybe you will only use a couple of times a year, but when you do it will save you a ton of time.

Reply to
Cliff Hartle

That is always my first choice if it is practical even though I have a Dremel and Roto tool. I always receive tools for gifts for some reason. One of the things I do find really handy is a clamp that holds my drill to the workbench. I mounted it on a board with a cleat I can but in my vice.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

For me, Dremel was like internet. I resisted for a long time. Now, I wonder what I ever did without it.

General Motors front brakes. Hex key won't work. Rusted out. Vise grips don't supply enough torque. I took the cut off wheel and dremel. Slotted and then angled the socket head of the brake pin. Allowed me to heat and beat. Pound the edge of the socket in a loosening direction. Not a common use, but it worked well.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

"Cliff Hartle" wrote in news:hngiof$9or$ snipped-for-privacy@speranza.aioe.org:

He could buy a Harbor Freight mini-grinder for his one-time task,they're often on sale for a very low price.

Reply to
Jim Yanik