Metal drilling question: source for cutting oil

I am just getting into some metalworking projects, and will be doing a substantial amount of drilling (using a Delta drill press). I heard that it is best to use "cutting oil" to facilitate the cut and to prolong the life of the bits. However, a quick search on the web shows that prices start at about $14 per gallon. Are there any alternatives which will do the trick, but not be as costly? How about motor oil? please advise, thanks.

Reply to
308nato

try rec.crafts.metalworking

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

definitely water-soluble oil for ferrous. kerosene is good coolant & oxidation-inhibitor for Al- yes, I've used it safely for years. Most any serious h/w store for the former.

John

Reply to
barry

You can probly get some heavy duty thread cutting oil at someplace like home depot.

For use in aluminum, wd-40 will work okay in a pinch.

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

Probably not the "best" choice either, but I've been using bulk pipe threading oil for ordinary mild steel...works reasonably well.

I had some aerosol cutting fluid that worked really well, but the supply places in town I normally go have quit carrying it so I went to a substitute.

We used motor oil here on the farm for years from as long as I can remember, though w/ no major problem...it'll smoke more than some of the other less volatiles will but functions, albeit as FH says, not quite as nicely...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Frank,

Someone was telling me that some old machinist used to use water, but he didn't say anything about using it on aluminum only. He was working with a younger machinist and the younger guy used oil on the tools and the old man had a fit. Have you heard of such a thing? What's the antifreeze looking stuff machinists use that usually smells like puke?

Relz

Reply to
Relz

msc.com or enco.com sells cutting oils, some mix with water

Reply to
ds549

HD sells a "Dark Cutting Oil" in a quart container. A few bucks if I remember correctly.

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson

Motor oil is not a good choice. If you have any machine shops in your area you could stop by and tell what material you are drilling and they most likely would give or sell you a small amount. If it's aluminum you can sometimes get away with water or water with a water soluble oil added.

Frank Retired machinist.

Reply to
F.H.

For hobby use, 3-in-1 oil should work just fine. Not motor oil, though.

BTW, $14/gallon isn't very expensive when you look at the price of a 4-oz can of light machine oil like 3-in-1 -- maybe three bucks? Works out around a hundred dollars a gallon.

Doug Miller

Water will cool the tool and the work piece but will not lubricate for a better cutting action, plus with only water you'll start to get rust. Heat is what breaks down the cutting edge of a tool thereby getting it dull. I use water soluble oil most of the time we buy it in

55 gallon drums. Cool Tool is what I've been using for more years then I want to admit. Look it your local phone book for Tool suppliers, a quart of cutting oil doesn't cost very much. Tool Producers is what comes to my mind at this time. Aluminum is best cut using oil because it'll give you a better finish. WD 40 will work just make sure you clear the chips off the drill often. (Pull drill out and place back in). If you don't do this the drill will walk off course and cut oversize.

A work>Relz wrote:

Reply to
TheBoz

He already did...talk to a local machine shop...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Reply to
Beeper

Can't recall the name of the antifreeze stuff but I did use it with great success for drilling small holes in stainless steel (back in the day) :) Water works well with cast iron, (maybe that was the reason the old timer had a fit) but I wouldn't use it on any other steel.

Reply to
F.H.

Sir

Drilling metal is a very dangerous process. You should not be attempting this at home. I highly suggest you take your metal to a professional machinest and have them do the work for you. People do not realize that if a drill bit were to break, it could puncture the users heart, causing immediate death. Powered drills are nearly as lethal as a gun in the hands of an amateur. Take your project to a professional who is certified to use a drill press and has all the proper and necessary lubricating oils and equipment. This is not a job for the amateur. For your own good, pull the plug on your drill press and do not use it again, unless you become a certified machinest.

Michael Smithe American Family Insurance

Reply to
msmithe

Kinda depends on how many and how soon he needs the parts. Finish, IME, is often not a factor with drilling.

WD-40 works well but the fumes are toxic. Good idea to keep the area well ventilated with a fan.

Frank

Reply to
F.H.

I use a synthetic Castrol product ( Syntilo 9913) for machining aluminum--basically, it's a clear mix having just a bit of a greenish tint.

$200.00 for a 5 gallon tub, solution is ~5 to 7 % in water....I get awesome metal removal rates and run tool speeds upwards to 5000sfm, where it also produces a very superior surface finish.

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

2 weeks ago, I couldn't even speel 'Machinist'...

But now, I are one !!!

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

Terribly expensive, and suitable only for aluminum....and so it probly wouldnt be a very good recommendation for a small shop, imo...

For general purpose use, I use "Chevron Soluble Oil B" ~ $46.00 for a 5 gallon pail....and mix it to appx 1 quart into a 5 gal pail of water....important that the oil gets mixed into the water...fill the bucket with water first then stir the oil in or else the oil wont stay in suspension....It will go rancid though, especially if you let tramp oil collect on top...it's best to skim it off and run the pump to aireate the mix for an hour or so every few days....

===

Most folks don't realize that the water soluble oil also works great undiluted for some the tougher jobs like tapping hardened alloys, etc...just brush it onto the tool full at strength.....

Oh, and one other thing....Ive found this stuff :

<

to be totally *amazing* when it comes to the toughest jobs...I was getting appx 6 holes per tap on a job ( 1/4-20 in 4340 @ Rc 42) ( was using a black oxide coated Sossner tap, very high quality tool )....at that rate, the job was actually costing me money...a bad bad situation...

I went to using the &#39;Jock-itch&#39; paste and now I routinely get several hundred holes per tap before replacement is needed.

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

The sky is falling the sky is falling I must tell the King!!

Bet this guy has a fuzz buster and never gone over the speed limit either!

YMMV, machinist for 25 years all fingers intact and have both eyes! This isn&#39;t rocket science its taking away metal from a solid piece of material. As far as the OP goes Black Oil for tapping is cheapest, and WD-40 for cutting aluminum will work fine for the hobbiest.

Rich

Reply to
Rich