Smoke Alarm Replacement - Aico Ei141

We have two interconnected Aico Ei141 mains smoke alarms in hallway and landing. They began chirping as if they need backup battery replacement so I have taken them down. On inspection I find that the alarms expired in 2020.

The Aico site says that the Ei141 alarm is discontinued and the model Ei146e is a suitable replacement.

Question: Does the Ei146e fit the same baseplate as the Ei141? Is it compatible with the existing one or does it require its own baseplate?

If it's a direct plug and play replacement I'll DIY it, but I'm not competent to change the baseplate and so would need to find a trained person; please advise.

Reply to
Sn!pe

Have you tried asking the manufacturer? They really ought to know the answer.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

At the start of Jan 22, I bought 3 x El 141RC and 1 x El146E to replace the previous set of alarms (166, and 161) that I installed > 10 years ago. They all went onto the existing base plates. So I would expect the next generation will also.

(A like for like swap of the base plate is pretty straight forward even if they did need changing - if you wan wire a plug - you could do one of those).

The most tricky bit is getting the screwdriver poked into the right place to separate the alarm from its base - they kind of lock in place, and you need to spring a plastic clip to be able to slide them off.

Reply to
John Rumm

Thanks for your reply, Colin. I naturally turned to uk.d-i-y first as it's the fount of all knowledge. If this fine group lets me down I will certainly ask Aico when they reopen tomorrow.

Reply to
Sn!pe

Thank you, John, that's very encouraging, I think I'll take a punt on it. If it turns out that the new ones need their own baseplate I can always get them fitted.

I have managed to separate the units from their baseplates but being somewhat disabled, working on wiring overhead would probably be beyond me. Thanks again.

Reply to
Sn!pe

No standing on the bannister rail to change it ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

If you ask a manufacturer about one of their products. you make a purchase based upon that information and it subsequently turns out to be wrong, you should, at the very least, be able to get your money back. Posts on uk.d-i-y carry no such safeguard.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

Excellent, that's exactly what I wanted to hear. I'd had a good long rummage through the Aico site but I obviously missed that. Ta, Andy.

Reply to
Sn!pe

To be fair I am not a fan of working on stuff overhead - mainly because I find it difficult to see what I am doing unless I take dedicated reading glasses!

Reply to
John Rumm

A different alarm, but a while ago I bought one smoke alarm from Amazon which had a particular speck, and stated that it had a replaceable battery. About 6 months later, I bought two more at the same price. I did not check that well, as I thought they were the same, but although they have the same name these are self contained with no replaceable battery but claim five to7 years of life and bleep when they expire. We shall just have to see I suppose, but it seems that the old clause you see about specification might change without notice is actually there for a reason. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

They often just have a plastic weld rivet holding down an internal battery cover - easily drilled out.

Reply to
alan_m

With some the bundled battery is supposed to last for the life of the sensor - so not much point in changing the battery. (the sensors are only supposed to be good for 10 years)

Reply to
John Rumm

All done and dusted: new units installed on old baseplates and all working fine. Thanks to everyone who responded.

Reply to
Sn!pe

ask Aico is safest option.

I had to replace 4 x Aico alarms due to expiry date .... all had to have new bases.

Reply to
Sargan

Could you give the model number of what you swapped?

AFAIK only the CO detectors have changed bases whilst I have been fitting them.

Reply to
ARW

I fitted a heat detector today in an old rented house. Batten light fitting in the kitchen, took the cover off, great stuff, 3 cables (2x T+E, and 1 single) going to it, so I can get a permanent live from it. Fitted it, turned on the power, nothing at the head. Got the volt tester out, power at the light fitting, but nothing on the

3 reds in the centre terminals. A bit of head scratching then ensued. Then it dawned on me, the middle terminals were a convenient junction for the strappers for the 2 way switching. FFS. So I've got to go back and sort out a permanent from somewhere. Never seen that before.
Reply to
Alan Lee

You should be able to alter the light switch

Reply to
ARW

Reply to
Tony Green

Just FYI/others.

I just ordered and replaced 3 x Aico Ei141 with the Aico Ei146e Fitted seamlessly into existing baseplates and on testing interconnected alarms feature fully working. :)

Reply to
Tony Green