Legalities of changing sockets and brakes in England?

This is insane. Legally (like anyone pays any attention to these laws) you cannot do simple things like fitting an electrical socket to your own home, but you can change the brakes on your car. The second one is FAR more dangerous to other people!
https://www.mglondon.uk/blog/electrician/when-do-you-need-an-electrician/

I'm not sure about that.
Bad brakes are less likely to cause:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Fire_of_London https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Chicago_Fire
While poor electrical work often leads to fire.

Nowadays only in your own home, only endangering you or your own family. But if you end up with no brakes, you could kill many innocent strangers by crashing into them. Why do you think cars are inspected annually for safety but houses aren't?
writes:

Not very often a fire that does any more than minor damage to your own house.
On 12/06/2019 18:02, Commander Kinsey wrote:

While I'm no fan of Part P and I'm not defending it, perhaps you'd be less irate if you checked a decent source.
That one has obvious contradictions. Eg: Look at the entry referring to sockets in both lists. (Item 1 in first list, 3&4 in second list.)

I guess it's one of those rules that nobody understands. A (Scottish, therefore not subject to part P) electrician told me you couldn't even replace a lightswitch in England without a certificate.

Plenty do.

He was wrong.

You'd have to be pretty dull to read an understand all that crap.

Possibly, I think he's just rather over cautious since he also owns a couple of properties he rents out, which have even more stringent bullshit to contend with.

Yes, you are that stupid.

Absolutely certainly.

Not on that they don't.

I'm intelligent enough to ignore rules.

They do. He needs a safety certificate form a qualified certified bullshit electrician.

He already has that and doesn't need a new one when he changes a failed outlet or switch.

He already has what?

The safety certificate.

For the current state of the flat. If he modifies it, new work isn't covered. Obviously a certificate doesn't cover work in the future!!

It isnt new work when the socket or switch is replaced.

Who knows? I don't think anyone understands our fucked up over the top complicated nanny state bullshit.

Any one can read the regs and anyone like Adam who has done so already.

Corse plenty do with something like that.
That's what I did when I designed and wired the entire house and got an electrician to lie that he had done it.
I have a massive great 4x4" square steel post between two patio doors in the main room which has 8 switches on it, 4 for the inside lights and 4 for the outside lights. It has a massive 5x3" rectangular steel section along the top of those patio doors which have the steel roof beams welded to it. That 5x3" section is actually 0.5" wall thickness because that's all I could get due to a steel shortage at that time. The wires for those light switches have to go thru that so I drilled a number of holes thru that with a massive great drill. With so many wires, down and back up that you have to have with light switches, it wasn't feasible to drill and grommet holes for the complete cables with the outer insulation, so I stripped off the outer insulation and that goes into short bits of plastic conduit that's in the holes with just the insulated wires in the 4x4" square tube that's the post. It acts as giant metal conduit and that's legally fine by the regs. Because there are so many wires involved, I twisted the wires that are in a particular cable together so I could easily work out which is which.
That was the only thing the electrician objected to, he said no electrician would have twisted them.
On 12/06/2019 21:52, Commander Kinsey wrote:

The job creation scheme for pointless bureaucrats covering electrical work concerns the wiring, not the fittings.
Besides, the paperwork doesn't specify in detail what has been done, so who's to know if something is changed later?

Indeed, it's all a crock of shit, as they say in Australia.
[snipped spurious newsgroups, added by pet troll]
On 12/06/2019 18:16, Brian Reay wrote:

The article quoted is full of nonsense anyway.
Excuse me while I laugh "they’re a legal requirement and are strictly enforced.", yeah right.
Part P does not have a requirement to use a "fully qualified" electrician. In cases were work is notifiable, work would need to either:
1) be done by someone who is a member of a competent person scheme; (might be someone who has done a part P domestic installer course, and does not know ohms law from his elbow).
2) be done under the auspices of building control;
3) be tested and signed off by someone who is a member of a third party inspection scheme.
(the latter option being newer than the first two)
Of their list of "notifiable jobs". The following are not notifiable:
Re-wire sockets or lights that are faulty and causing the fuse to trip Install outdoor or garden lights that run off mains electricity Install additional sockets or a light switch as a spur from a ring main Install communal hallway smoke alarms or emergency lighting Install home entry systems Install electric radiators (where there weren’t any before)
There are only a small number of notifiable jobs now:
Installing a new circuit Replacement of a Consumer unit Any addition or alteration to an existing circuit in a special location (note simply changing an accessory like a light fitting or switch does not count as an alteration)
A much better appraisal of Part P without the FUD salesmanship:
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Part_P
--
Cheers,

John.