Legalities of changing sockets and brakes in England?

Go take your illiteracy elsewhere, we're not interested.

Reply to
GB

Not my fault if you can't understand what everyone else can. FACT: 99% of people do not put apostrophes at the end.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Not my fault if I piss on illiterates.

Where did you pull this 'fact' from? Out of your rear end, just like all your other 'facts'?

Reply to
GB

Only a computer program requires precision placing of apostrophes. The rest of us knew perfectly well what was meant. Grow up.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Some dumbclucks do it all the time. Even when it's not required. And others don't do it when it IS required. English at its finest, eh?

Reply to
Tim Streater

It's not necessary unless you're a robot.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

The article quoted is full of nonsense anyway.

Excuse me while I laugh "they?re a legal requirement and are strictly enforced.", yeah right.

Part P does not have a requirement to use a "fully qualified" electrician. In cases were work is notifiable, work would need to either:

1) be done by someone who is a member of a competent person scheme; (might be someone who has done a part P domestic installer course, and does not know ohms law from his elbow). 2) be done under the auspices of building control; 3) be tested and signed off by someone who is a member of a third party inspection scheme.

(the latter option being newer than the first two)

Of their list of "notifiable jobs". The following are not notifiable:

Re-wire sockets or lights that are faulty and causing the fuse to trip Install outdoor or garden lights that run off mains electricity Install additional sockets or a light switch as a spur from a ring main Install communal hallway smoke alarms or emergency lighting Install home entry systems Install electric radiators (where there weren?t any before)

There are only a small number of notifiable jobs now:

Installing a new circuit Replacement of a Consumer unit Any addition or alteration to an existing circuit in a special location (note simply changing an accessory like a light fitting or switch does not count as an alteration)

A much better appraisal of Part P without the FUD salesmanship:

John Rumm

Depmds on whether is unions for *an* electrician, or *all* electricians.

Only in the latter case is the trailing apostropehe indicated.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If I recall, no specific individual was referred to.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Not helped by it being wrong

You CAN add an extra socket as a spur yourself (subject to it being a valid place to add a spur)

It's adding socket as part of the ring that you can't do

Reply to
tim...

unfortunately it was brought in as a safety measure (championed by some MP who had lost a family member to a house fire caused by faulty wiring)

tim

Reply to
tim...

indeed...

yup

From where did you conjure that random factoid?

Part P does not prevent you adding sockets to a ring, not does it class such activity as notifiable unless in a special location.

Reply to
John Rumm

Why would one be more dangerous than the other? In fact it's more likely you f*ck up a spur, like using 15A cable because you only put one socket there.

The whole idea of the ring main is dangerous anyway. If one cable breaks, it continues working with inadequate protection at the fusebox.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Why not?

I added ALL my sockets that were parts of rings!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

So one person dies and 65 million pay the price?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

How does this relate to the conversation above?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

You CAN add sockets to a ring. You can even extend the ring (as I did from my living room to avoid putting in a new circuit to the conservatory, so avoiding involving either an electrician or the council).

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

What tight credit squeeze? I'm constantly getting junk mail from credit card companies.

I doubt they want any more.

I did once text while driving with a broken arm. I can multitask you see.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Yes, but wait till you actually try to apply for a card.

Of course they do. Everyone wants credit so that they can live outside their means.

You're not supposed to be multitasking while driving.

Reply to
GB

So Plural and his mates have stolen apostrophe's apostrophe?

Reply to
ARW