So what are the best power tools ATM

Looking at buying a new SDS cordless, SDS 110V (4kg with rotor stop and a 2kg one) and a new cordless drill and cordless screwdriver set.
I still like Bosch for the cordless stuff and Makita for the mains but would like other views.
--
Adam

On Saturday, January 17, 2015 at 10:42:12 AM UTC, ARW wrote:

110v stuff goes cheap at used tool places, pawn shops etc
NT

I would imagine that that is the sort of place my tools are:-(
--
Adam

On Saturday, January 17, 2015 at 12:59:57 PM UTC, ARW wrote:

You havent checked?
NT
On 17/01/15 10:41, ARW wrote:

I have a light (2kg IIRC) Hitachi SDS 240V that has been very well behaved.
Blue Bosch has not failed me yet either.
On 17/01/2015 11:09, Tim Watts wrote:

I borrowed a 36v Bosch for the day. Best part of £400 as I recall but it felt like a high end mains drill.

I have inherited a Hitachi Li-ion drill driver here and while it is excellent, it is clear that it is a cost reduced revision of previous models with similar codes.
An example being spares availability. The battery contact in the drill broke and whilst this is available for pennies on the original model, the cost reduced model has fewer LRUs (Line Replaceable Units) and the battery contacts (different design) are only available attached to the trigger switch at far greater cost.
Not slagging off the concept of cost reduced models as it is those that allow these things to sell at SFx etc for under a hundred quid but for true pro use and good spares availability it might be an idea to choose a manufacturer that doesn't court the hobby market.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
fred wrote:

+1 for Hitachi Li-ion. I bought a twin pack combi drill driver 18v about 15 months ago and been very pleased. Currently Screwfix have 18v 1.5ah tools and 3ah spare batteries for £20 1.5ah might not get you through a heavy usage day but some 3ah as backup should be fine.
Bob

Oh dear. If it really is a regular thing, getting them nicked, might it be worth just getting Lidl type ones? Of course then a discerning thief may not want them, and they'd wear out quicker than Makita. ;-)
--
*Haunted French pancakes give me the crepes.*

First time in over 20 years so is that regular? Normally I would say that power tools last longer than a girlfriend. But this time the gf has lasted longer than some of the power tools.
That Bosch 36V SDS cordless does feel good - just tried one out.
--
Adam

Ah - no.

Might depend on how you treat them? ;-)

You're confusing me. Is that still 20 years? Isn't she a bit broody by now?

How heavy is it? I found for chasing walls that mattered.
--
*Fax is stronger than fiction *

>> But this time the gf

I started to see her in 2006. England were playing Paraguay that night and England won 1-0.
Non of the tools that were stolen were bought before 2006.

Thats why I want a replacement for the Makita mains HR3000C drill. Cordless SDS drills are no good for wall chasing.
--
Adam

That is interesting.
On Sat, 17 Jan 2015 10:41:52 -0000, "ARW"

I got a Makita DHP456RMWX 18V Li-Ion Cordless LXT from Amazon 3 weeks ago for 128 ukp. I comes with a single 4Ah battery but I picked up a cheap 1.5Ah unit that is useful when the larger one is recharging.
It definitely comes under the heading of 'should have got one years ago'.
--
rbel

Cordless are never as good as mains where you need long term running at or high loads - or light weight.
They may well be a 'must have' for some - but many don't really understand (or care about) their limitations.
--
*I wished the buck stopped here, as I could use a few*

Indeed. And a cordless might be OK for the odd bit of DIY wall chasing into soft walls - but I often have to chisel out full houses for rewires and some of the bricks are very hard.
--
Adam

Other thing is for occasional DIY use, cordless becomes even more of a luxury. A half decent mains unit will last a lifetime of light use - the battery in a cordless die after a few years regardless.
--
*It was recently discovered that research causes cancer in rats*