Makita tools

So damned expensive, even when compared to other quality tools, is there a reason (other than greed), that is, are they worth the money and why?

Reply to
Chris Wilson

In my experience (heavy duty DIY use), they *are* worth the money. They have outlasted cheap shed own-brand equivalents several times over (angle grinders mainly) and the cut accuracy is excellent (mitre saws & table saw) vs cheap ones. I've burnt the motor out of a cheap table saw fairly quickly (and then couldn't get spares!) but the makita just keeps on going. I also have a fair number of Ryobi battery tools* which seem to be lasting well, and are well built, so also worth considering.

*Their One+ range that share the same batteries throughout.
Reply to
AlanD

Prices are pretty much the same as all the other pro tools.

Apart from the *elite* brands like Festool. Now they're expensive.

Reply to
dom

I have always found them remarkably good value - often a little cheaper than the blue bosch equivalent. Ultimately you get what you pay for.

Reply to
John Rumm

In article , Chris Wilson scribeth thus

Build quality, reliability, performance:)..

Next?...

Reply to
tony sayer

Batteries, chargers,after sales service, parts availability, ergonomics.....

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I don't think they are. Compared to some tools they're expensive, but compared to the same quality, they're the same or cheaper.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Which other 'quality tools'?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Chris Wilson wrote in news:Xns9EB69F45CC341ulmbritwarcouk@69.16.176.253:

Thanks for the replies folks, I was just curious and I suppose I should have asked first as I've been re-equipping my workshop over the last few months and am now nearly finished.

I was looking at Makita but in the end for my "cordless" catagory I bought Bosch blue 18V Li Ion based around a GSR drill/driver that came with two batteries. Comparing prices with Makita they were coming out at between 5 and 10% less expensive than the Makita equivalents.

And I have to say that having had a play with the new drill/driver yesterday in the garden driving *big* wood fixings into big lumps of wood (emergency fence repairs!) I wa very pleased with the performance being akin to the sort of power I'd only previously experienced with mains tool

Reply to
Chris Wilson

Blue Bosch and Makita are fairly close in performance across the board - some have the edge in particular classes, but there is no clear "winner" overall IMHO. Pricing seems to depend on what you are buying (and where you buy). Some cordless stuff Bosch comes out cheaper. Mains SDS, or jigsaws, then Makita has have the edge in price. Both have full spares and service support, so no worries there.

Reply to
John Rumm

Oh just wait until you try an impact driver :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

The Medway Handyman wrote in news:hZpkp.242$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe04.ams:

Can't you mump one of those together with an angle grinder and a hammer?

Reply to
Chris Wilson

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Chris Wilson saying something like:

Not expensive at all, unless you're used to buying pikey specials.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon