Drill Replacement

OK I know this comes up regularly, but equally there are new models released regularly so.... What drill would the group recommend for general DIY use? As a starter, the model I am looking to replace is a 20 year old B&D 550 Watt BD154R with 1/2" chuck. With the prospect of a kitchen to re-furb/fit I would like a balance between ruggedness and handleability (I don't have arm muscles the size of Popeye's).

TIA

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Thats becuase you don;t enough your spinache ..gagagagaga

Reply to
Peter smith

What do you want it to do? Have you got any other drills?

I reckon that for general DIY use you need at least *three* drills - probably more. My 3 essentials would be:

  • 2-speed[1] mains drill with 1/2" chuck
  • 18v (cordless) drill/driver
  • SDS+ drill with rotation and hammer stops
[1] 2 geared speeds + infinitely variable speed control via the trigger. Probably comes with hammer action - but forget that, and use SDS for drilling brick and concrete.
Reply to
Roger Mills

"Roger Mills" wrote

Thanks Roger

I was kind-of-hoping for a model incorporating your items 1 & 3. My Black and Decker has all the features mentioned in your item 1 with the variable trigger and hammer. Only thing missing is the improved hammer action associated with SDS and the rotary stop.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Something similar to

be fine.

The 2kg models are easy on the arms do good chiseling for back boxes etc.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Do you want to go mains or cordless? Screwfix have a Makita cordless twin pack at an unbelieveable offer

would give you a very competant hammer drill & a good driver. Or a Bosch at £99
'Site' brand from SF is a Makita built 3 function SDS at £75 - a real bargain for one of the best SDS's on the market.
of choice about.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

> should be fine.

Not really. Its fine for drilling masonry, and chiselling - but doesn't make a very good general purpose drill. By the time you've plugged the chuck adapter into the SDS holder, it's rather long and unwieldy. It doesn't appear to have a 2-speed gearbox, and almost certainly doesn't go as fast as an 'ordinary' 2-speed drill. (can't see any reference to speed in the S/F details).

Reply to
Roger Mills

Dunno if you realise that an SDS with rotation stop makes a power chisel - very useful for chasing or removing bricks, etc. And SDS is far removed from hammer - it will drill easily into hard masonry a hammer drill won't touch.

But they tend to become a bit unwieldy with the chuck replaced with an ordinary one for normal sort of drilling - and their speeds may not be ideal either. So I'd still consider a cheap mains drill for that.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

What's this one like as a breaker:

I've had a couple of lidl/aldi ones that haven't lasted a job out. I've a bosch 2kg for light jobs but it hasn't a rotation stop so would like something not too expensive for heavier/breaking jobs.

Reply to
<me9

Only 3? I'm a member of Drill Buyers Anonymous!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I've got one & I'm quite impressed. Never drilled a hole with it, only use it as a mini breaker - a function it fulfills pretty well. Must have had mine over a year, used half a dozen times.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Yebbut, you're not a DIY-er!

Reply to
Roger Mills

If you combine 1 & 3 you end up with an excessively large heavy drill with poor drilling speed and a waggly chuck.

I'd also suggest adding

  1. an old basic drill, such as a B&D for when having 2 drills saves you changing bits over and over and over again. An old =A33 drill only need be useful on one job to have paid its way.

NT

Reply to
NT

I bought an SDS screwdriver bit holder for mine. Seemed to be a much better idea than using a chuck for screw driving and anything else that can utilise a standard hex socket.

Mind, I haven't actually needed to use it yet... :-)

Reply to
Rod

There is no one answer!

I find my two most heavily used drills are my Makita 18V combi, and my Makita HR3450X SDS (now superseded, but available under the Site brand from SF).

I have something similar to that, but really never find a use for it these days.

I would go for a decent SDS since on a kitchen it will do all your chasing etc as well as drilling into hard stuff. A good cordless can handle the remainder.

John Rumm

Does that make it an impact driver?

Reply to
Roger Mills

My mains drill gets used since it has a half inch chuck - needed for some of my holesaws - and none of my cordless go over 10mm.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In message , Roger Mills writes

Can't say I use my mains (non SDS) drills much anymore.

I would turn to the cordless for most general jobs, the mains one is really only used for bigger holes/thicker timber where the cordless isn't up to it.

Reply to
chris French

Yes, ditto. But I *do* use the mains drill - particularly when using large hole-saws etc. (and when the cordless battery runs out!)

Maybe I listed them in the wrong order, and the mains drill should be last rather than first? But, since I regard them *all* as being necessary, it doesn't really matter.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Just been putting up a pelemet. The 14.4V combi did the holes in to brick with no troble at all; if I'd wanted bigger holes then it would have been the mains Bosch hammer drill; to go in to the concrete lintels would need the big bugger - those lintels would stop a round from a Tiger!

I've 4 drills + a Bosch 7.2V job (12 years old and still going) and the little Bosch is still first choice for small holes in wood as it's the least trouble to get out.

Just wishing for something really worth using the SDS on!

Reply to
PeterC