SDS drills around £100?

My SDS packed up today (stopped and make a plume of smoke), so it looks like it's time for a new one.

Looking on the Screwfix site, there's a blue Bosch 2kg on a deal for a ton (

then a Sparky 3kg for £140 (
).

Does anyone have any views on these or alternatives beofre I part with my hard-earned?

Cheers

Reply to
GMM

I don't reckon you would go far wrong with that Bosch. Dunno about Sparky, Drivel thinks they are great, which puts me off.

ITS London have some good deals on (prices are + VAT)

Hitachi's are cheap, if they are as good as my 18v Hitachi SDS I'd be well pleased.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I bought the Bosch, or one just like it a few months ago. Truly excellent compared to my old Dewalt 18V sds drill.

However, I was drilling a 107mm core through brick on Friday, and it took an age, as the drill hasnt enough power. The clutch kept slipping/clicking, indicating that the drill thought it had jammed, when, in fact it was just drilling a large, deep hole. It did get through eventually, and any other hole has been fine, it is common for me to drill 22mm holes through double skin brick, and no problems there.

Reply to
A.Lee

I got this one, although mine is all grey, but the controls are the same.= =20

think is something quite good and rebadged - it had good review at the ti= me. I have had it about 8 years, no problems at all, dropped it from about 15 f= eet onto its side and no damage ! I don't think it has much of a clutch though, and I notice Wickes has a Mak= ita for less money. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

I would take serious note of the weight difference. Only if I felt I really needed the extra power of the Sparky would I consider it further. There again, I am an occasional user and that extra weight would not be welcome to my arms. You might be muscle-man!

I got a cheapie Lidl one. And, given the price, very impressed. It spent several hours the other day running full pelt with a pump attached. Didn't even get slightly warm. But am sure that the Bosch would be a much nicer beast to use.

Reply to
polygonum

THanks TMH. That site's quite tempting: A Makita for only another 20. Likewise, the Hitachi looks good. Choices choices huh? The only downside is that it will take a few days to arrive and I'm hoping to finish the little rewire job I'm doing tomorrow.

It's been such a long time since I cut out bricks for a socket back box that the last one I did was by hand and it took forever (didn't have an SDS then). This afternoon I drilled half a dozen holes then chiselled out with the SDS and each one took just a few minutes. Pretty impressive.....until it went phut, of course!

Reply to
GMM

That is a little bit of a concern, as a new outlet for the upstairs bog is on the horizon, which will require the same exercise. Perhaps the fact you got there in the end says that it is pretty much up to the job, taken gently?

Reply to
GMM

Badged Kress I think. Pretty good kit - I've got one.

D.M.Chapman

onto its side and no damage !

for less money.

I wonder if they'd let me do that drop test on a few in the shop? Sounds like a useful property in a tool. More importantly, one of the reviews says it comes with a 5 year guarantee. If that's the case it could be a good reason to buy.

Reply to
GMM

On Saturday 12 January 2013 19:51 wrote in uk.d-i-y:

I've got a Hitachi 2.4kg similar to this:

quite impressed - it was more efficient that an old 8kg ALDI jobbie (chisled faster, due I guess to better action, but could not go as long before getting hot).

For "regular" work, it is good.

Reply to
Tim Watts

To be fair, even my 780W Makita needs to take it slow on 107mm cores. Its not lack of power, but just the point the clutch lets go.

Reply to
John Rumm

onto its side and no damage !

for less money.

Its a Kress - not bad, but not as good a deal as it once was.

Reply to
John Rumm

15 feet onto its side and no damage !

Makita for less money.

No, it seems like the price of "pro" makes like Makita / Ryobi etc. has com= e down in the last few years. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

In the past couple of week I used my 2k Dewalt for a 110mm hole in 10 inches brick/plaster and had the clutch protection cut in a few times. Easily solved by withdrawing the core bit back a bit and then going back in. I think the main problem was that the mainly soft bricks had very hard bits, as seen today while chiselling out (with the drill) a few of the same type of brick. Sometimes it was like a knife through butter and at other times the it was hard work.

Reply to
alan

My Neighbour has that Bosch drill, I borrow it frequently ... good bit of kit

Reply to
Rick Hughes

onto its side and no damage !

for less money.

Look at max diam though .... 22mm

For the WC pipe ... you would be better to hire a machine * diamond core drill for the job. I did when I wanted to put Gas Flue in .... Local Hire shop does 1/2 day hire

Reply to
Rick Hughes

In article , GMM scribeth thus

Simple answer get a Makita .. and thats it:)>.

Best tool I've ever bought .. drilled god alone knows how many holes and the chisel attachment .. almost demolished houses with that:!...

Reply to
tony sayer

A number of people on our renovate forum have expressed the view that Makita quality is not what it was

Tony Bryer

Sparky comes from the same place as Bosch. The DIY version. Been OK with me.

I have had a few SDS drills. The el cheapos won't stand continuous use but are OK if used for five min and given a rest to cool off.

They are poor on demolition work but as good as the expensive ones for drilling subject to power and weight.

So it depends on how you intend to use it.

Reply to
harry

I bought a Bosch GBH2-24DFR in 1999, and it's had periods of extremely hard use/abuse - probably the best value I've had from any tool. Recently used to drive a 150mm core cutter (OK the clutch cut in too often, but it still went through 400mm solid brick). I've also torn up concrete laden with flints. But in its main job - driving 22 and 32mm SDS bits through masonry, it's brilliant.

It has had one strip-down/rebuild (by me) when the drill/hammer/chisel selector switch got dodgy - but never needed any spares.

If you can afford the extra, some Bosch SDS models have interchangeable SDS and 3-jaw chucks - extremely useful IME.

Reply to
Dom Ostrowski