SDS drills

Hi all,

I've founda couple of threads on Google regarding choice of an SDS drill which I'm now going to get. I had originally thought of getting the cheap

5kg Ferm model; from Screwfix to see what SDS was like, but from past threads I'll be so impressed I'll ending up buying a better one soon anyway. If I only want to drill holes and maybe chase out the odd socket box would the 2kg Makita HR2540 be OK. I don't want to break a lot of concrete or anything but it seems to have the features such as a safety clutch and variable speed which other contributors have reckoned were very useful. Thanks for any feedback. Peter.
Reply to
PJK

Do you mean the HR2450? If so, then yes, buy it. Good drill.

Reply to
Grunff

Hi Peter.

I bought a cheapo 5kg SDS to see what they were like and I'm a complete convert. I'm looking to buy a lighter one myself. The 5kg jobbys are like a small breaker, a bit heavy for hole drilling etc.

I'm going to use my cheapo to break up my drive and if it survives it won't owe me anything, then buy a 2kg - possibly the Wickes one.

Dave

Reply to
David Lang

In article , PJK writes

Yes get one, just do it! . Excellent bit of kit bought one a few months ago and its the best bit of kit I've ever owned!. Wish I'd bought one years ago!.....

Reply to
tony sayer

Yes, I meant the HR2450, if I'm going to use the Screwfix catalogue much perhaps my next purchase should be a pair of glasses! Thanks to you and others for the advice, I'm ordering it today.

Peter.

Reply to
PJK

Screwfix are doing a deal for a Makita for £99.

Reply to
Doctor Evil

I bought the 5kg one (actually badged as "Challenge" from B&Q) and... A: was totally converted to SDS B: nearly knocked the whole sodding house down with it - drill all the way through a brick and you get a cone-shaped exit wound

So permanently lent that to a friend and bought a Bosch with SPEED CONTROL. Whatever you get, make sure it has "rotation stop" so you can buy all those chisel attachments from ScrewFix.

Al.

David Lang wrote:

Reply to
Al, Cambridge, UK

Hi Al

Oh, not just me then :-)

Dave

Reply to
David Lang

Drill a pilot hole all the way through with a thin drill. Then drill halfway through from each side. This also helps avoid the tendancy of the bit to just push the whole brick out of the second skin when doing a large hole through a

9" brick wall.

For large holes, it also helps if you widen the hole in a few stages with progressively larger bits.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

The 900w one in argos is very good for the money.

(If you buy one open it and check it in store to see if it's a 'previously used' one!)

Makro have some for £15+vat but they are only 650w and (AFAIK) don't come with any drill bits.

sponix

Reply to
s--p--o--n--i--x

Hi Sponix

Would that be the Challenge (710/6330) @ £39:99 ? If so it looks exactly the sames as the B&D KD960KC (710/5812).

Think the OP was looking for a 2kg SDS. I was in Makro last week & could only find 5kg machines.

Dave

Reply to
David Lang

The one I bought was the £29 one (710/5702)

The bits alone would cost more than that in B&Q!

Yes, have just seen that on reading again. It doesn't say on the Makro flyer what weight they are/were.

Dunno how heavy the argos one is...I work in feet and cubits...it's heavy enough to make your arms ache though!

sponix

Reply to
--s-p-o-n-i-x--

Hi Sponix

It appears to be a 5kg jobby. I'm looking for a smaller lighter one just for drilling, I don't like my arms to ache!

Dave

Reply to
David Lang

Sponix wrote;

Just picked one up. Looks nicely built, drills brick & concrete very well. Chisel function is not as good as my big turbo nutter SDS, but you could remove a brick or chase a wall with it - slowly. Chisel does at least stay in one plane & not move about. My main use is drilling anyway.

Comes with a 3 jaw/SDS extra chuck, 3 bits, chisel & point. Well pleased for £40.

Dave

Reply to
David Lang

There's a 16 (?) day money back guarantee if you don't like it..

Reply to
s--p--o--n--i--x

Did anyone else notice that the latest toolstation catalogue has a cheapie silverline SDS for 25 quid? (order code 88952)

The interesting thing is that the design looks very much like a 2kg class machine rather than one of the usual 5kg brutes.

(not recommending it since I have never used it, but it may be a better bet if you are after chapie SDS)

Reply to
John Rumm

If you are buying a cheapy SDS get it from a shop, so it is easy to take back and replace if it is wrong.

Reply to
Doctor Evil

Nice idea, but I have not seen any shops with 2kg cheapie SDS drills though.....

Reply to
John Rumm

You takes your pick...and maybe hassle.

Reply to
Doctor Evil

Poor spec it does not chisel and can only do hammer, and no hammer stop. The next is £50 with hammer stop and no chisel. The cheapest they have that chisels is £100.

The Wickes Kress was going for Around £80-90 and Screwfix are doing a Makita for £100. Bets get one of those.

Reply to
Doctor Evil