SDS and Screwfix

Going to the opening of the new Screwfix trade centre Thursday. I get 10% off on a friends pass so I want to get an SDS drill. I need to do some chisseling in the garden to be able to dig down and would like to use it to drill a few holes in he house from outside to inside. Can anyone recommend a half decent one. I dont want to spend a fortune but want one that will last a bit.

Thanks Sam

Reply to
Samantha Booth

Well give us a figure to work with Sammy?

Reply to
George

Look at the earlier thread SDS drills:2kg or 6kg

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm

I havent a clue what they cost to be honest George. I have probably around £60 to spend one one. thanks again

Reply to
Samantha Booth

Several years ago I bought a cheap (29.99 ?) SDS from Screwfix. (Exact model not now stocked - it is a Ferm but looks quite like the Titan.) It has withstood being used to break concrete, drill holes in brick, help dig out fence post holes. It is crap. But effective.

Worst features:

No rotation lock - so when chiselling the bit just spins randomly. On/Off - single speed. Heavy. No clutch. Selectors tend to slip out of position (e.g. bit goes from rotate only to rotate+hammer by itself).

Best features:

Tough. Cheap.

I am just waiting for the right excuse to buy a new, decent machine. But I will keep the brute for as long as it runs for the really dirty, heavy things. Doesn't look like there is one at less than 99.99 that I would choose. Then there's loads within a few pounds.

Reply to
Rod

Not much realy but it'll get you the Bosch at £50 with the 10% off

George

Thanks all the bosch looks like what I need.

btw while I am here has anyone used these

am wondering if they are easy to fit and are the soft close ones (self close) ones I have seen

Reply to
Samantha Booth

Will any sized hamster fit in the cog box? ;-)

Reply to
George

Heh, I've got one of those. Bloody awful but it just keeps going.

Reply to
Steve Walker

Yes - have used them. They are nowhere near as good as the ones that fit onto the hinge itself - like this:

But the hinge-top ones in the link only work on Blum hinges. (The ones you linked to will work regardless of hinge.)

From the link, choose Downloads - Blumotion Brochure. Has full details of all Blum soft close things including the ones you mention. Also details of fitting.

Easy to fit the ones with the cruciform backplate (as the Screwfix ones). But you have to drill very accurately if you choose any of the ones that fit into the thickness of a panel.

Reply to
Rod

Sorry - if doing many, get the Blum 65.5300 template. I *think* that the screw holes are identical for the cruciform as for the Blum hinges.

Also - Screwfix picture *appears* to be the version for drilled holes. Typically this is the situation in kitchen cabinets that are pre-drilled both sides to allow doors to be fixed either side. (Often come with small plastic blanking things.) If they are that type but your cabinets do not have such holes, make sure you drill holes the right size. A different model is available to take ordinary 3.5 or 4mm countersunk screws of a length appropriate to the cabinet thickness (purchased separately!). In either case, make sure you have the screws you need. :-)

Reply to
Rod

I have used these, and you can remove the damper plunger from the bracket if you want. Just drill a accurate 12mm (IIRC) hole into the edge of the cabinet, pop the plunger in the hole, and forget the plastic side mounting bit.

They do the job nicely.

Reply to
John Rumm

And me. Having used it for plenty of work for which is really wasn't meant for, like demolishing large, thick concrete slabs, I'd promised myself that when it finally conked out I'd buy myself a decent one. But the damned thing just kept on going and in the end I just had to bite the bullet when a good offer on a De Walt came up on Screwfix... decided the old Ferm could be kept for really grotty jobs. But I'd had the De Walt no longer than a fortnight when I got the Ferm out for something - and bugger me, it just keeled over and died.

I felt really quite guilty over it...

David

Reply to
Lobster

better) for that.

For a decent one you need to be looking at the Makita/Blue Bosch/Hitachi sort of tool at the £100 - £130 price bracket. I rate my Makita HR2450 very highly. I expect the 2460 (Lawson £110) or the 2470 (screwfix £112 ish with discount) would be even better.

Reply to
John Rumm

Well spotted MrRumm,sorry about that Sammy,looks like you'll be looking at either the Eruaber or Titan models for the price you're willing to fork out.

Reply to
George

If going for that price range the Wickes Professional (made by Kress) SDS drills are the ones to go for. £90 to £110. 5 year guarantees too, while Makita,, etc are all 1 year.

The DeWalt deal of £99 (number: 43520) which is an SDS drill and a 12v drill driver may be worth going for (1 year guarantee)

The SITE (made by Makita) from s/fix is £10 cheaper and virtually the same Makita machine.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Personally I can't see any point buying the Wickes one these days. When it was £40 cheaper there was some logic. However now it is much the same price, it does not seem worth forgoing the ability to walk into any tool service centre and get spares or repairs.

Don't think they are doing that deal anymore....

The one Screwfix have looks like the 2450, which would seem to follow the policy of the Site tool being the recently discontinued Makita one. Its also about the same price the 2450 used to sell at. The only unknown factor is if there have been any changes made other than the colour of the plastic.

Reply to
John Rumm

Indeed you can. I noticed on the Blum link, they do a model 971A (in several variants) which appears to be the same as the Clip On range - but usable on pretty much any door - on the hinge side. Looks good - but probably a bit more expensive than the Screwfix model. Seem to be 3-52 each here:

The Blumotion 917 is intended for fitting to the HANDLE side. The Blumotion 970A is intended for fitting to the HINGE side.

Screwfix do not reveal which it is they are selling - I would guess the HANDLE side/917.

Reply to
Rod

So do I, best tool I've ever bought:))...

Very well worth the money!...

Reply to
tony sayer

It is a quality product made by a quality maker in Germany. It has a "FIVE" yr guarantee while the others are ONE, that tells you a lot. You can go into any Wickes and get it fixed, if it needs it of course. They are pretty unbustable when used within their range.

They are. I gave the number.

The watts is near the same.

A Makita is a Makita.

Reply to