Screwfix Masonry Drills .

A couple of weeks ago I placed an order from Screwfix which included four masonry drills including this one .They were all from this group. They are pretty cheap cpmpared to some of the others they sell .I used one of them last week for drilling in to brick and today when using it again the tip wore out as did the next one I replaced it with . I know they were cheap but even so ......Has anyone used these bits .?? I do have some other (shorter) ones that I have had for years and they are still serviceable but I wanted longer ones which is why I bought new ones ...I guess you only get what you pay for .

Should I just forget it or should I ask for a refund ...The 4 bits, a

10,8,7 and a 6 cost only a total of £4.34.

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

Oops.forgot the link to the item....

Stuart

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

That'll be like the Junior Hacksaw blades that went rusty while still in the sealed packet. :-)

Mark S.

Reply to
Mark S.

Ask for a refund. Sounds like the tip brazing has been done badly.

I bought a very cheap angle grinder from them, and burnt it out in three weeks. Reported it to Screwfix, got an immediate full refund - no questions asked - they even said 'don't bother sending it back'. You will at least get your money back - Screwfix are an honourable company.

R.

Reply to
Richard A Downing FBCS CITP

At 67 pence each thats Probably a good guess, wouldn't you think. ?

Reply to
Mark

Sounds like better value than the crap i bought. I got about 0.2 of a hole for 33p each. The pack of 3 couldnt give me even 1 hole.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

The message from snipped-for-privacy@care2.com contains these words:

We have concrete walls between the terraces and they're sodding hard. Before I got an SDS drill it could take half an hour of drilling to make one 8mm hole - and even the poshest bits died fairly quickly. The SDS bits make the concrete seem like soft cheese.

Reply to
Guy King

Sometimes the TC tip can get snagged if the stuff you're drilling is not uniform - if the metal of the drill bit doesn't support the tip strongly enough, the TC can shatter, which a) knackers the bit, and b) can leave pieces of nice hard TC in the hole to destroy the next bit. Cheap bits tend to have thinner sections of TC, which may not be supported very well. They won't take so much welly for a start, and drilling in something with a mix of materials with different hardnesses (e.g. concrete) will quickly shag them.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

I e-mailed them about the problem and they have replied to apologise and are refunding me .....I'll need to see if it is for all 4 bits or just for the 2 that I have used ..probably for all 4.

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

They do claim "good quality", so I think it's at least worth mentioning=20 it to them, although you don't really expect much for that sort of=20 money. Maybe they've had a bad batch.

Reply to
Rob Morley

For any Cutting tool, drill bits, saws, chisels etc, a bargain buy is IMHO a complete waste of money. In this case I think Screwfix are misleading in describing them as good quality, particularly as the pound shops sell 6 x 150mm x 4 5 6 8 10 12 bits for urmm a pound, and probably of similar quality.

-- /9j/4AAQSkZJRgABAQEAYABgAAD/2wBDAAUDBAQEAwUEBAQFBQUGBwwIBwcHBw8LCwkMEQ8SEhEP ERETFhwXExQaFRERGCEYGh0dHx8fExciJCIeJBweHx7/

Reply to
Mark

Some of the poundshop ones are even ok. I've had various cheap cutting tools and many are ok, though there are plenty to stay well away from. Had plenty of not cheap kit turn out to be crap too. So how can one tell which bits are good and which arent in say a screwfix catalogue?

NT

Reply to
meow2222