Wallpaper Lining....

People of T'Internet,

Am wondering if there is a product which you could line your walls with which has insulating properties. Am wanting to line a couple of exterior walls.

Thanks for any strokes of genius.

Reply to
Miggins

You can get anti-condensation paint, which is about as insulating as thin lining paper.

You can get thin polystyrene on a roll that you paper over. This has lots and lots of disadvantages.

You can get plasterboard with insulating material on one side of it.

You could batten and insulate.

You could put up a stud wall over and containing insulation.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Does it have to plain or patterned?

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Plain is the way forward cos will want to emulsion over it.

Reply to
Miggins

plain is the way as will want to emulsion over it.

Reply to
Miggins

pmsl,sorry I'm reading it as if you want to line the outside wall,but you mean an inside exterior wall.

Embossed wallpaper has insulation properties it being foam type,but you cant get it in plain.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

4x2 battens fibre glass slabs foil coated plaster board

if you want to actually have a significant amount of insulation.

Reply to
dennis

Unfortunaltely, not really. In a way, this is fortunate - it'd generally lead to horrible condensation behind the walls, as the water vapour would condense behind it, from warmer parts of the walls. It is possible to safely - without causing later rot - insulate quite significantly over a couple of walls, but it involves putting a vapour barrier between any existing uninsulated areas, and ventilation.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

You mean like plain polystyrene lining stuff? Available nmostly at independent places.

Reply to
mogga

You can get rolls of thin polystyrene sheeting for this very purpose in B&Q. For a plain finish would probably need at least one layer of lining paper over it, and I suspect it might be vulnerable to dents.

I am not recommending the product; merely acknowledging its existence.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

The message from Owain contains these words:

Having seen the results of a kitchen fire where polystyrene ceiling tiles were installed I'd not be keen to use it myself!

Reply to
Guy King

Polystyrene tiles don't really burn they shrivel up with the heat,but its the fumes off them that can kill.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

I'd imagine it does not have enough mass/surface area to burn the same way. If it burnt at all it would be cooled by the wall. Some of the ceiling tiles used to be 1/2 " thick, and even then were only really dangerous if painted with gloss paint. It was the paint that burnt, and melted the tiles that dropped off in molten globs.

DG

Reply to
Derek ^