SDS drills

The B&D for £46 is better value from Argos.

Reply to
Doctor Evil

It has a hammer seletor on top. It is also described as SDS Plus which often indicates roto stop as well.

Still you are the expert on cheap and nasty tools.

Makita HR2450X is the one I would go for personally... in fact I did. Very good it is too.

116 inc VAT from Lawson HIS with extra keyless chuck, chisels, and SDS drill bits.
Reply to
John Rumm

No, that's just the interface with the bit. A better indicator is a set of chisels in the pack.

See...

And don't overlook the importance of a safetly clutch which is much harder to determine in the cheaply presented drills.

Jim A

Reply to
Jim Alexander

SDS Plus is the specification which defines the bit holder. SDS Max is the bigger version.

Reply to
Grunff

Yes and an excellent bit of kit it is too. Why not save up a bit and get one instead of having something lesser and waste your money?....

Reply to
tony sayer

Doc wrote;

As far as I could see it's identical apart from colour & label.

Dave

Reply to
David Lang

SDS Plus is NOT rotostop.

No my dear friend, value for money and the right tool for the job. This £25 job is fine for hammering only. 3 yr gurabntantee and if you only want to hammers as you have other drills, then this is fine for a DIYer.

For DIY work the Argos 900w at £40 looks good and well specced. But only one year guarantee. You could get the £25 job from Toolstation and spend £20 on a mains drill for normal drilling. There again I suspect the spec is better than what the website says. I would ring them up first before ordering.

Reply to
Doctor Evil

Well the £40 900w Challenge is the one to go for with all the extra bits.

Reply to
Doctor Evil

There are slight differences on the case mouldings.

Reply to
Doctor Evil

Have you actually got experience of this drill? Or, as usual, just comparing adverts? And what experience have you of DIY? Last we heard of was you cutting plastic pipe with a hacksaw resulting in a leaking joint...

I'd get the Makita, since it's a known good make. Unless there were several *personal* recommendations on here for one of the cheaper ones.

One day you'll realise the 'look' of a tool has nothing to do with how well it performs. It's simply a marketing ploy for the unwary, and designed to catch their eye in a display.

I'll give you an example. I've got some ancient wood chisels that belonged to my father. Well worn and with scruffy wood handles. But retain their edge far better than any modern chisel I own. Put those in a display with new ones in a shed, and none would buy them. Despite being better performers.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Toolstation have all their dills by maker: Bosch, DeWalt, Ryobi, etc, and the DIY range. Lord Hall said Ryobi was only DIY, Toolstation think otherwise.

They also have in the DIY section 1/2" router for £34. This can cut a kitchen worktop. So, if you only need to cut the worktop, get template and this router and a cheap way of cutting your worktops.

Reply to
Doctor Evil

This one would recommend not to get your drill fixed if sparks were coming out of it, after all he advises 18 years service for boilers.

Reply to
Doctor Evil

Anyone care to translate into meaningful English?

But surely your famous hacksaw will be ok for this?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Not convinced that there is any difference between plain "SDS" and "SDS plus" in this respect (SDS max however is very different). I was commenting on the ad men's ploy where they seems to say SDS plus more often when they are referring to roto stop drills.

I have no idea whether this one has roto stop (although I would be surprised if it did not have hammer stop is spite of drivel's claim). Personally I would not buy it, not being a fan of cheap SDS's, but for those that don't mind a lack of finesse and safety it may be a lighter weight option than many 25 quid offerings.

(I do enjoy the irony of Drivel saying the OP should buy Makita though! ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

No, there isn't - sorry, I wasn't clear enough.

SDS is a generic term which doesn't accurately describe any particular tool. SDS Plus is the small SDS chuck system (like the machines we're talking about in this thread), SDS Max is the big ones.

Reply to
Grunff

Hi Doc

Whatever.

Tried mine today for the first time. 10mm bit, 4 x 60mm deep holes in concrete. Brilliant! Variable speed is a bonus - easy to get an accurate start.

Well pleased at £40. Seems like a good tool.

Dave

Reply to
David Lang

Boy! You are senile.

Reply to
Doctor Evil

Really? What would you be cutting on a worktop that required a router and template?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Redeemable in B&Q in Mumbai presumably?

Reply to
Andy Hall

So clearly you believe them since it says so on the web site. You're a marketing man's dream.

No doubt it says that on the box as well.....

There's one born every minute.

Reply to
Andy Hall