Wall chasers

So, it begins ... the movers left at lunchtime.

Are any of the cheap wall chasers any good? Or shall I rent a decent one?

Most of the lights in this house are wall mounted at eye level & I want to move them up.

H.

Reply to
Huge

Erbaeur from Screwfix. £100. You also need a decent hoover to attach to it.

Reply to
A.Lee

How tall are you?

Reply to
Graham.

My cheap ALDI worked perfectly well - and is not too bad on dust if plugged into a hoover.

Reply to
Tim Watts

+1. Henry will get a real workout, depening on the construction of the wall.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

They all work... I find the ergonomics of my Sparky one on par with bagpipes though. (to be fair its fine in use, but the setup etc is a bit awkward).

Good vacuum is a must though - and it will clog filters in things fast.

Do the wires run down to them or up?

Reply to
John Rumm

6'3"
Reply to
Huge

Good question. I had a play with my stud finder this afto, but it was inconclusive.

Reply to
Huge

If its up (if they run from the lighting circuit, then up is a good bet), then you will probably be better off breaking out some plaster gently with a SDS - should be quite easy over a chase.

Reply to
John Rumm

What is wrong with a hammer and bolster?

Reply to
ARW

I have a screwfix one too (not sure the make) which was around £100 over 10 years ago, which works well. Before that, I rented one - it was very much bigger and more difficult to control (and quite terrifying to look at).

Henry is useless with a wall chaser - I tried once. A filter or bagged cleaner will fail within seconds.

A Dyson is the only thing that works - nothing else comes even close. The rate of dust ejection is phenomenal. Don't let it fill past the max line, or you'll have to wash the pre-motor filter. Also, the dust canister will be much heavier than its handle is designed for (and the inside will get sand-blasted, but that doesn't affect operation).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

all a bit too hammery and bolstery. Oh ok, nothing. Whatever the OP has.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

If it is just a bit of plaster then that is the way to go.

Reply to
ARW

Yes. I do have a chaser, but unless there is lots to do and mess doesn't matter it's easier to do it by hand.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes a Dyson is good for picking up plaster dust but you'll suffer the consequences later. The plaster dust builds up on the inside surfaces of the cyclones and drastically reduces their efficiency leading to the need for very frequent cleaning of the filter until you bite the bullet and strip down and clean the cyclone.

BTDTGTTS

Reply to
Mike Clarke

It was all we had available at the time but I would agree was only a bit better than nothing.

I don't know if the Dyson would have taken some of the bigger chunks of masonry that found their way into the hose as the Henry did?

The job I used my chaser on was cement rendered block with a thin plaster skim. So, the chaser cut through the render and turned that into sand ... and the block seemed to turn into dust. The issue was that chunks of plaster would drop off the render and chunks of render would drop off the block work and either would often block the hose (and became the biggest problem).

If I ever had the need to do more than a couple of runs again I might try using something bigger like the big Vax wet and dry or make a dust extractor thing like they use with blast cabinets?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

It's a barn conversion with vaulted ceilings. I'm pretty sure all the services are run under the floor, and therefore come up from below. But some gentle plaster breaking (probably with a cold chisel (assuming I can find them) - I don't own an SDS) sounds like a good idea.

Reply to
Huge

Nowt, but I have a *lot* of lights to move.

Reply to
Huge

How can someone read this group for that long and not own a SDS? ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Not a proper bloke without one :-)

Reply to