And so it begins

 Today was tilling day for a new patch to plant some blueberries and most of the rest of the garden . It was also bee hive splitting and onion planting day . Tomorrow I'll be picking up some seedlings at the co-op ... I probably won't plant them right away , we're forecast for one more frost and I don't want to buy 'em twice . I'll be waiting a couple of weeks minimum to plant the vine crops , got some cukes and zukes and squashes I want to grow this year . And the strawberry patch is blowin' up and the bees are working it steadily . I'm really optimistic about the garden this year , it's started out really well ...
Reply to
Terry Coombs

I've got two of my eight vegetable garden beds cleared and planted. Broccoli, lettuce, and snap peas so far.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed on the one with snap peas since I had to use seeds-on-hand for the snap peas with seeds ranging from three to five years old. So far, only three little plants are emerging, but I have hope.

Started clearing Bed #3 yesterday, but was chased in by rain. If things clear out (and dry out some), I'll try to get the rest of the bed cleared and planted this afternoon. It'll have the other six broccoli plants and more lettuce.

Yesterday the first of the tomato seeds I'd started indoors poked its leaves out of the starting mix. More should be following over the next few days.

Making do with some old seeds and what few were purchased before the lockdown, but at least there will be something trying to grow out there to supplement the canned and baked goods.

Nyssa, who has learned not to trust the weatherman, but still got caught short yesterday by the rain that wasn't supposed to come until nighttime

Reply to
Nyssa

My son has been raising his own veggies from seed for the last month. So far, so good! Now all he has to do is clean out the old chicken coup to put his new hen chicks in it.

Reply to
Muggles

  If he's planning on using that chicken litter as fertilizer make sure he knows that it must be composted before use . It's really high in nitrogen and will burn the tender young roots if he uses it straight from the coop .
Reply to
Terry Coombs

The stuff that needs cleaning is old, so it'll go straight into the beds, more than likely.

Reply to
Muggles

That reminds me that I have to sweep out the sheep barn.

Paul

Reply to
Pavel314

I'll be visiting my neighbor's rabbit cages several times tomorrow with my yard tractor and a small trailer ... some will be mixed into my compost pile , some will be mixed with the soil when I plant my seedlings in a few days . None will be wasted .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

My son cleaned out the old chicken coup and set aside the stuff he shoveled up. He finally put his egg layer chicks in the small part of the coup and they seem happy.

I the process one chick got loose and he hasn't caught it yet. It's taken refuge under the workshop. Got any ideas how to lure the chick out and catch it?

Reply to
Muggles

Food and or water . Put it under a box propped up on a stick and just wait ...

Reply to
Terry Coombs

I'll let my son know ... thanks

Reply to