hoarders and greenhouse plants?

Hi All,

Are the hoarders going to buy out all the green house plants too? Or just seeds?

-T

We have plenty of both, here.

Reply to
Muggles

Lefts hope I can get some peppers and cherry tomatoes.

Weird the things folks are hoarding. Eggs and dairy? Those things spoil!

We seed savers are just (upstate NY) starting tomatos. And testing older seed-some 16-year-old romaine is germinating nicely.

Reply to
Gary Woods

I had to do something like that with snap pea seeds that ranged from three to five years old. I keep checking on them, but only a few have poked through the dirt so far. Keeping fingers crossed.

Except for a few seeds that a neighbor picked up for me over the past couple of months, I'm mostly having to rely on older leftover seeds.

My other neighbor who usually orders for both of us from Pinetree Seeds, was dealing with her husband's illness (he passed away last month) and never got around to making the order. My other in-person source(s) have both gone out of business.

With the lockdown, I haven't ventured out far enough to check the big box stores nor my other source for plants and seeds that's 45 miles away.

I'm dealing with things as best I can and have two vegetable beds planted with snap peas (which may or may not work), two types of lettuce, and broccoli.

Nyssa, who also has started some tomato and pepper seeds from last year and has hopes that they'll do the job

Reply to
Nyssa

Based on my relatives postings on Facebook, everyone is planting a garden and trying to raise chickens.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Drahn

If you can, buy some produce in the store. Save the seeds and plant them.

We had 2 dozen eggs for maybe 10 days, but my son ate a bunch of them yesterday!

Reply to
Muggles

We've done both off and on for years. My son recently bought 10 egg layer chicks and is raising them, now.

Reply to
Muggles

  I had horrible germination rates on my slicing tomatoes and the 3 kinds of peppers I planted . I've already talked to my plant guru and will be picking up some seedlings in a few days . But for right now , our hens have been outproducing our appetite for eggs , I'm thinking about beating a bunch and freezing them in a muffin tin . Then I can pop 'em out and bag them for later .
Reply to
Terry Coombs

We used to outproduce out need and/or want for eggs, too. Friends wanted to buy them from us, so, occasionally we'd take some cash for eggs and put that $ into buying either scratch, or bedding for the chickens.

Reply to
Muggles

Muggles wrote: ...

i've always liked pickled eggs. :)

songbird

Reply to
songbird

  Last summer when the hens were in full production mode we took the excess to a small veggie stand and split the proceeds with them . That might not be an option this year , and we now have a second freezer - our son gave us a small chest unit that he no longer needs . Might as well fill it up .
Reply to
Terry Coombs

yeah, me too! I pickled them with beet juice added. They turn the pretties color purple!

Reply to
Muggles

We'll probably have some eggs in 5 or 6 months once these hen chicks come of age.

Reply to
Muggles

I apparently do not know how to save seeds as mine never germinate or if the do, they die shortly

:'(

You know what, I planted they two inch ends of green onions (scallions) from the store last year in my feral bin just to see what would happen. They are going great guns! I have actually ripped off a few leaves this year when the snow broke them. Interesting, they are not all perfect straight leaves like at the store.

Tried planting eggs. No chicken popped up. They just started to smell bad after a while. Maybe I should dig a few back up and hide them in the neighbors Easter Eggs patch.

WHAT ???? Okay, I think I am funny.

victory gardens?

HAHA Never planted eggs before! LOL

Reply to