What Happened to Spring?

It was down to 31°F last night and 26°F predicted for tonight. I covered my onions and spinach with 2 layers of row cover. Took it off today so they don't cook. Back on tonight. I found some volunteer lettuce plants yesterday. Dug the up and put them in the greenhouse. They go back out when it warms up. Thank goodness the peas haven't germinated yet.

I cut a small serving of rhubarb this morning. Dessert at lunch. Discovered that 2 of the 3 rhubarb plants DH got last year have poked their heads through. Still watching the last one. These are fairly expensive, supposed to be red ones. Once they get going good I may start taking cuttings and replace some of the existing plants that don't do very well.

Guess in a few days I will start transplanting some of my tomato and pepper seedlings into larger quarters. Am even more sure that they are not going outside until sometime in May.

Reply to
The Cook

We had a little cold snap yesterday ourselves, got down into the high forties. Had to put a blanket back on the bed.

Bright sunshine today and hardly any wind. All the veggies we planted from seed are now up. Yellow squash, green beans, cukes, lima beans, carrots all up and growing. The transplants are also doing well as we got a bit of rain shortly after planting.

Picked up the dawg from the vet hospital this morning, had her right meniscus repaired. Very expensive but worth it for this one. She's laying on a rug in the living room now with her "Elizabethan" collar on and groaning about her knee like any other senior citizen. In a few weeks she will be able to run and jump without pain we hope. Maybe take her out for a short leash walk in the garden later today and give her a chance to lay in the sunshine for a bit.

George

Reply to
George Shirley

I noticed yesterday that some of the spinach and bok choy I planted earlier this week has sprouted , but the lettuce hasn't . We're expecting a light freeze tonight , so I'll be covering the hot box with a tarp ... I'll be moving those seedling out into the garden in a couple of weeks , weather permitting . I'll be checking the 10 day forecast first though , don't want a repeat of last year . It froze the night I planted them and cost me a third of my tomato seedlings . Her daffodils sure are purty !

Reply to
Terry Coombs

It's coming just a little bit more slowly this year. Spring fever is getting the best of all of us. Here's a pic that might help scare away those cold nights.

wg_2002