Finally warmed up

At least some. The last several nights it has been close to (or below) freezing but warming up during the day. But I have gotten my cool weather vegetables planted and they seem to be surviving.

I planted 300 lentil seeds (100 of 3 different varieties) and 100 spinach seeds (they are still just sitting there.) I have also set out onions, Swiss chard, beets, rapini and broccoli. The cabbage plants did not look good so I am tossed them and I bought some from Lowe's. Everything is in the ground.

The rhubarb will go in the ground sometime after the first of April and the tomatoes at some point after the middle of April. The eggplant and peppers will follow in a week or two after them.

The herbs have germinated pretty well and the eggplant and peppers were started yesterday.

I need to figure out how many tomato plants I have room for. Why do I keep buying more seed every year?

Now I can take a short break and clean the house. Company is coming!!

Reply to
The Cook

Wow...I feel lazy now ;-) What is rapini by the way? And good luck with all your plants! *is hungry now*

Reply to
Lilah Morgan

Rapini is also called broccoli raab. Part of the broccoli, cabbage, etc family although it tends to taste somewhat like turnip.

We have had rain for the last 4 days and I cannot get into the garden. I hope that everything is still there. I will go out and walk around the perimeter and see what I can see. I also need to check the weather for the next couple of weeks and see what nasties I have to look forward to.

But really need to stay in the house and clean.

Reply to
The Cook

Reply to
Granby

We call it broccoli rabe and think of it as a bitter green. Some folks forage for it along road sides but you have to get it before the flowers open or too bitter. It sort of looks like broccoli getting ready to seed on immature plants.

I leave 8 miles from Vineland NJ. largest city in NJ area wise and also the self proclaimed Dandelion capitol of the world. We have a large population of Italian decent.

Bill who will be eating Dandelion tonight.

Reply to
Bill

Oh ok I've seen broccoli raab in the nursery catalogs. Thanks.

Reply to
Lilah Morgan

I overdid tomato seed too; planted about four times more than I thought I would need for my garden space, assuming a low germination rate. Almost all of them sprouted and thrived.

So since I can never grow a good lawn out here in southern Utah, I figured I'd just lay drip lines across the front yard and put tomatoes out there. It's a good way to make something worthwhile out of a patch of land that refuses to look like a lawn no matter what we do. Hopefully our 120+ tomato plants will enjoy it.

--S.

Reply to
Suzanne D.

What are you going to do with all of the tomatoes? One year I set out about 100 plants. The neighbors got tomatoes and I took small boxes of cherry type tomatoes to a family gathering. I think I spent most of August and September preserving tomatoes.

Reply to
The Cook

We are a family of six that LOVES tomatoes. Each of my four boys could probably eat 20 tomatoes in a single day. They roam the garden in the summer, just grabbing tomatoes (and peppers, cucumbers, beans, carrots, etc.) and eating them as they play. We also love to make sauce. And yeah, the neighbors will get some as well. Seems like, despite getting hundreds or even thousands of tomatoes in a summer, there still is never enough.

--S.

Reply to
Suzanne D.

Sounds like heaven.