cold frame - fall, winter, spring greens in Ohio?

I've been thinking of trying a cold frame for a number of years. I have:

1) south facing edge of garage, with no shade (~25 feet long) 2) about 13 2x4's 3) 5 or 6 double paned glass windows, roughly 3' by 3'

So I think I have what I would need to cobble together some sort of test run, at little cost. I'm just trying to figure out if it could work here in zone 6a, southwest Ohio.

One of my friends is paralyzed from the waist down and lives in an assisted living community. I am in charge of shopping for his groceries every week, including greens. Usually he has me buy spinach, though he has tried kale and some other greens.

I'm wondering if there is any chance I might be able to supplement his diet of greens by planting something in the cold frame.

If you think there might be a chance, I would really appreciate it if anyone could suggest some varieties of greens that might be able to handle the cold weather growing in a cold frame. I'm probably too late for this fall, but might be able to plan for a late winter planting.

Thanks for your help!

Reply to
Ohioguy

Hello OhioGuy here are a few options for growing in a cold frame in winter. Arugula

Broccoli Beets Cabbage Chard Chinese cabbage Green onion Kale Lettuce Mustard Radish Spinach

I have only tried cabbage and mustard and they came up fine, the rest of the list I got from motherearthnews

Reply to
john115