cold frame ?

I am considering building a cold frame. My question is: how do I keep the plants from cooking on worm sunny days? I don't want to stay home because the sun may come out.

Thanks

Gary

Reply to
Gary and Karen Manning

The message from "Gary and Karen Manning" contains these words:

Don't stand it in the sun, at least, not in summer. Also, prop the roof open, or take it off and put a shade net over instead.

Janet

Reply to
Janet Baraclough..

You'll need something like this, but smaller:

that company and find out what they have in a smaller size. I don't know how much room that thing needs for movement, but I suspect it's too big for a cold frame. What you're looking for DOES exist, though. You might also check

Congratulations on the cold frame. It's a great thing to have. In Spring, after the weather's warmed up, you can continue growing small stuff in it, and cover the box with a framed piece of mesh to protect the crops from digging animals or clumsy humans. I use mine for low-growing salad greens.

Also, pay no attention to advice about starting seeds in late fall. You never know when you you'll have an extra month without frost that's too much for the frame to protect against. A few years back, I planted lettuce in late October and had fresh salads up until Christmas (upstate NY, zone 5). If it doesn't work, you've risked what....three bucks worth of seeds, if that much?

Reply to
Doug Kanter

It's a cold frame, not a shopping cart. No wheels. The right place for February through April (when it's likely to be needed most) is probably where it's going to stay for the whole season. Early in the season, it could be below freezing when he leaves for work, and over 90 degrees by mid morning, even if it's only in the 30s outside the frame. He's looking for an automatic solution, my dear.

words:

Reply to
Doug Kanter

I purchased a cold frame from mail order a few years back. It was made in Germany, I believe, of a corregated plastic material. One nice accessory they sold was a thermal controlled lifter, that would open the top door of the frame automatically, depending on the outside temperature. I have used it for years, and it works for me. There are probably many variations of this product, if you just scan the catalogs and internet.

Sherw> I am considering building a cold frame. My question is: how do I keep the

Reply to
sherwindu

The message from "Doug Kanter" contains these words:

Doug sweetie, there's no need to get on top of me to reply.

I have three coldframes, and none of them has wheels, but moving them is easy. In summer, I position them out of direct/mid-day sun and use them for rooting summer cuttings. Two weeks ago, I moved the frames to their winter position where they'll catch any winter sun that appears, but are out of the wind. The propagated plants in pots will stay safely protected from winter cold and gales (we don't get heavy freezes here) without getting drawn and leggy. In spring, the cold frames will be in good light for sowing spring seedlings.

Janet (Isle of Arran, Scotland).

Reply to
Janet Baraclough..

message

First of all, you're a funny lady. :-)

Now, darling, my apologies for being severe. My cold frame was patterned after the picnic tables we find in New York State parks. They're made with the assumption that a family of large bears will try and steal them in the dead of night. (Actually, teenagers try that stunt). Anyway...mine is as easily moved as a well made sofa.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

The message from "Doug Kanter" contains these words:

You need to eat some porridge, pet. I moved a well-made sofa very recently. Janet.

Reply to
Janet Baraclough..

Janet, my little love monkey, was your sofa anchored to the ground with 4x4 inch posts driven 2 feet deep? Hmmmmm????

If this continues, I may have to hop on a jet and hoist a few with you! :-)

Reply to
Doug Kanter

The message from "Doug Kanter" contains these words:

Pumpkin, I am not accountable for furniture fashion in the colonies.It was not I who claimed a resemblance between your sofa and your coldframe.

The only thing men hoist over here is sails and breeches. I hope you don't get seasick.

Janet.

Reply to
Janet Baraclough..

message

Seasick....no. I like rhythm, my little squash blossom!

Reply to
Doug Kanter

I think John should keep an eye on Janet and Doug. Get down there and lock that Garden Gate!

Reply to
Twobtold

Cupcake....where are you? I've been waiting all day, and not a word from you! :-) :-) I'm going to start hitting the Lagavulin soon if this continues.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

The message from "Doug Kanter" contains these words:

Mr Kanter, have you forgotten that I'm a teetotal pacifist?

Mrs Baraclough.

Reply to
Janet Baraclough..

I'm not aware of having been informed of that, madam.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

The message from "Doug Kanter" contains these words:

One had hoped you were more intuitive and considerate, sir.

Janet.

Reply to
Janet Baraclough..

message

My method of dealing with your absence in no way suggests it would also be YOUR way, señorita. :-)

Reply to
Doug Kanter