Lettuce or Crop to Grow in Raleigh ALL YEAR ROUND

Hello,

I'm interested in learning if there is a version of lettuce or "similar" vegetable that I can grow on my patio garden all year round and not have to worry about the cold. I live in the Raleigh, NC area. What handles the weather the best hear?

Thanks Sam

Reply to
samadams_2006

How cold does it get? Are you planting in containers?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Kale or spinach are some of the most cold-tolerant.

In Raleigh I don't know if you could grow them all winter. I'm guessing they'd either die off at some point, or at least stop growing for a while. But late fall and early spring for sure.

You might be able to extend the season with some sort of mini-greenhouse, for example this:

this:
(something similar to the latter can be made from scavenged plastic bottles or the like)

Reply to
Jim Kingdon

Collard greens laugh at cold weather, too. They'll reach a point where they'll stop growing and just sit there, but they won't die until the temps reach the point of insanity.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

this:

or this:
(something similar to the latter can be made from scavenged plastic

Sorry if I belabor this point, but if I get a greenhouse like those shown in this link, will I be able to keep my lettuce on my backdoor patio without fear of them freezing? I really would like a system so that I can grow my own lettuce and veggies year round, and if this will work, it's probably the best. The next option is probably a "window sill" device indoors with some sort of lighting system. This greenhouse on the patio seems to be the cheapest...

Thanks

Reply to
samadams_2006

Two things:

1) I asked you yesterday how cold it gets during your winters. Never got an answer. That's important information for this discussion. Your greenhouse question cannnot be accurately answered without this information.

2) Window sill: Do you have a south window that will not be blocked by any bush, shrub, overhang, etc? If not, you'll need to use supplemental light. To duplicate sunlight, you'll need about 10,000 watts worth of fixtures. Unless lettuce is terribly overpriced at your stores, you're probably better off buying it.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

this:

>> or

this:

>> (something similar to the latter can be made from scavenged plastic

Hello,

This link should give you all the info you need regarding temperatures:

have a window that points to the south, but there is a tree in the way so the sunlight is not direct. I have direct sunlight on my patio, but it faces north.

Regards Sam

Reply to
samadams_2006

this:

or this:
(something similar to the latter can be made from scavenged plastic

If I purchase a greenhouse such as that shown, will I be able to grow lettuce outside in the winter. I live in Raleigh, and here are the temperatures in the winter:

samadams_2006

That's a discussion site. The proper thing would be for you to not expect us to read through all those messages. You should distill the information and present it here.

If it get below freezing for any length of time, you will need to find a way to heat the greenhouse.

How far away is your nearest supermarket? And, do you have an "I don't care what I spend" budget for this greenhouse project?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

this:

>> or

this:

>> (something similar to the latter can be made from scavenged plastic

I suggest you read informative article about growing winter gardens at:

Johnny

this:

> >> or

this:

> >> (something similar to the latter can be made from scavenged plastic

The article doesn't mention lettuce. At low enough temps, lettuce will not survive, while members of the cabbage family (in the article) will.

If the OP wants lettuce, he/she may have to add heat.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom