Oversized red beets

I have a number of over-sized beets. I hate to throw them out but they are about a foot long and too big for pickles. These are giants that my good-hearted brother gave me 'cause he didn't know what to do with them.

Any suggestions?

Reply to
Roy

Julienne them, and proceed as usual.

Reply to
Cora Fuchs

I just wondered if they would be tough. Anyway, will try to Julienne them and see how that works.

Thanks...

Reply to
Roy

very hard to know if they are any good or not until you do some chopping and cooking.

if they are woody you'll know fairly quickly.

if you can slice and dice them easily enough then they are probably ok.

i pickle beets of all sizes. i cut them into 1/2-1/3 inch cubes, then steam them until done before adding brine. most times i cut up onions and put those on top when steaming.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

Beets can be sliced thinly or shredded on a grater and eaten raw in salads. I am a salad person so that is one of my favorite way to eat beets. If you are not a salad person then I can give you some recipe. Cut beets into very small cubes and onions too. In a pan add oil and few mustard seeds, once the seeds start cracking add the onions and beets fry them for 10 mins add salt for taste. Taste would be delicious once you fry them in oil. Another method is shred beets on a grater. Slit few green chillies, cut onions and few grated coconut. Fry onions and chilies in oil once the onion are brown add the shredded beets and a pinch of salt for taste. Close the lid of the pan in a very slow flame. Check every few mins and when you feel it is cooked well add the coconut on it. Try these two recipes for beets, I bet you will love it.

Reply to
allen73

Juice?

Reply to
phorbin

Lots of good ideas...Thanks all.

Reply to
Roy

If "proceed as usual" includes light pickling it would help soften them. I have in mind an hour soak in a vinegar solution not a cooked pickling process. Veggie ceviche!

Reply to
Doug Freyburger

I had one the size of a softball. There wasn't anything woody about it. I was dubious though.

Reply to
Billy

Billy wrote: ...

i had a few this year that hit that size or larger and were also fine. not the best tasting but they were acceptable for pickling.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

Hi Roy, hope I'm not too late and that youve not eaten them but Ive only just seen your post !! Here's an interesting idea. Cut them in half, hollow them out a bit and put a daffodil bulb inside and then plant them !!! In the spring, you'll have a lovely and very unusual display of red daffs that will amaze your friends ane neighbours Haaaaaaa!

regards, Lannerman.

Reply to
lannerman