i don't think this is edible

and so strange looking to find in a garden:

since the Halloween is almost here it's also fitting because it does look like a hollow weenie when the green goo gets washed off.

however this pic is more appropriate for Halloween:

songbird

Reply to
songbird

The stinkhorn is Mutinus elegans. It is actually edible while in the egg stage, but no one would even consider it at this stage. It evolved to have its' spores spread by carrion flies, thus smells like carrion when the spores are mature. The green goo is the spore mass. Steve

Reply to
Steve Peek

I've seen an orange four legged version of a stinky gizmo. The goo is up under the arch.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

I expect it is because of the wood chips you have put down. I got some nice and interesting fungi when we put down bark chips once - including some tasty morels.

Reply to
echinosum

echinosum wrote: ...

was there a weed barrier layer under the bark chips? we put down a weed barrier fabric (that does let water and air through) before putting down the wood chips. makes it much easier to keep weeds from getting down too deep if they happen to sprout.

i have innoculated the wood chips with morel juice, but it may not be the right place for them.

songbird

Reply to
songbird