Does Sodium Laureth Sulfate hurt edible plants?

Hi All,

I have to get rid of my back lawn (water meters). I typically drip drain my swamp (evaporative) cooler on to my lawn in any spot that need more water. I use Sodium Laureth Sulfate (Safe Choice) in the cooler as a wetting agent, so there is a tad of it in the drip water. Doesn't not hurt the lawn one bit. (The lawn actually seems to like it.)

But, after rocking in the lawn, one of the few places left for the cooler to drip would be my two planters I plant to put where the lawn use to be.

Will this hurt my edible plants or me if I eat these plants?

Many thanks,

-T

Safe Choice:

Ingredients: Purified water, sodium laureth sulfate, cocamide MEA, citric acid.

Safe Choice MSDS:

I'm a retired heavy industry safety professional and I see no reason to worry about it on your plants according to the MSDS. Appears to be benign to plants and to humans.

If anyone worries about the chemicals used in gardens and lawns be sure you get a Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) from the place you bought it. Many of the materials we use in gardens has an MSDS taped to the container or in or on the box. I do it as a routine thing when we buy chemicals of any kind and, generally, I will read the MSDS will still in the store.

Reply to
George Shirley

Hi George,

Thank you! It certainly doesn't seem to hurt the grass, but I don't eat the grass.

-T

I second George's comments and also add that it is approved by the FDA as a direct food additive.

MSDS's can be somewhat misleading to the layman as they stress the hazards of the pure material. Eating a bar of soap would make you sick but drinking a little soapy water will not bother you.

Reply to
Frank

Thank you!